Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

Namflow

Namflow

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have a Dell Precision workstation 330 with 512 RambusRam. I would like to upgrade this because Photshop CS2 and my RAW picture converter do not running particularly fast. I went to Compusa and they did not have an upgrade for me. I checked the Dell website and they didn't have anything either. What is the deal with Rambus Ram? Can I upgrade my memory to 1 or 2 gigs? Where is the best place for me to purchase this memory. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have a Dell Precision workstation 330 with 512 RambusRam. I would like to upgrade this because Photshop CS2 and my RAW picture converter do not running particularly fast. I went to Compusa and they did not have an upgrade for me. I checked the Dell website and they didn't have anything either. What is the deal with Rambus Ram? Can I upgrade my memory to 1 or 2 gigs? Where is the best place for me to purchase this memory. Thank you in advance.

Hello, Rambus memory is very different and is hard to find now as they dont make it hardly anymore and it never caught on.

You still can find it but rambus memory is more expensive than regular memory would be.

You have to install it in pairs usually and should stick with the same type that is already in the pc weather it be ecc or non ecc ram.

I got this info for your pc model...

http://www.memoryx.net/precwor330.html

it tells you what memory will work in your pc and has to be in pairs.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
If I have 512 now.....does that mean i can add another pair of 256 Rambus (512 total) in the empty 2 slots to give me a gig? It looks like a lot of money for memory- is there anyplace that sells used rambus memory that is reliable? Thanks again.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

is there anyplace that sells used rambus memory that is reliable? Thanks again.

Trust me if you get Rambus it will be reliable.

My opinion though on Rambus is that it is faster than DDR but to expensive. You must have a compatible motherboard, have a s--t load of money. DDR2 is out and is now starting to compete with Rambus. Soon Rambus will be like SIMM. Soon enough =)

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
RDRAM is expensive. You can usually find good deals on ebay. I picked up 2 x 512 kingston sticks for a buy it now price of 250. Which for rdram is a SWEET deal. Dell does sell the sticks for over 500 for the pair. In my old system it had non ecc i bought ecc sticks, it made it A LOT MORE stable and way faster.
-Pete.
PS: You ALWAYS have to use rambus in pairs, preferrably the same sticks.

Edited by p-zero, 23 March 2006 - 03:55 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Rambus/RDRAM/RIMM memory is painfully expensive because these days its so rare to find anybody who sells it. It works like SIMM memory used to - upgrade it in pairs. Your best bet is eBay or similiar.

Currently, Crucial does not offer RDRAM (Rambus) upgrades because only a relatively small number of our customers have expressed interest in it.

The right memory for your computer is the kind of memory it was designed to accept. If your system was designed to utilize RDRAM, you cannot substitute any other type of memory (such as DDR or DDR2).