Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost D: partition after xp reinstall

• Please log in to reply

aishr

aishr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

In my old system (one month old), OS and programs were on the C: partition (40GB), the Data was on the D: partition (260GB). System has two 160GB hard drives in RAID0 config. I had to reinstall XP due to boot problems, and my understanding was that I could reinstall OS on C: and not affect anything on the D: partition.

After reinstall, the D: partition is completely gone. Windows explorer shows only 40GB C: drive. Going into the Disk Management shows the C: 40GB as healthy and the remaining 260GB as free space. I assume all the data on the D: partition is still there. My limited understanding of setting up partitions was that if the OS was ever corrupted, I just had to reinstall OS into that partition and still have the data partition intact and accessible.

Are there any suggestions as to how I can recover the data partition? Appreciate any help/advice.

Regards,
Aish

Advertisements