Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Connection Drops Out

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi All;

I have an Internet connection problem but not sure wether to place it in the Hardware or Internet section:

I have upgraded a PC for a work collegue:
Previous Spec
Motherboard QDI Advance 6T
128MB PC 133 SDRAM
Win98
Celeron 1.1Ghz
20GB HD

I have Added 256MB PC 133 SD Ram Kingston
Installed a Maxtor 80GB HD
Installed WinXP Home SP2 onto the 80GB HD
Set 20GB HD as Slave on Primary

Added an LG DVD Dual RW as master on secondary IDE
put existing CDRW as slave on secondary IDE

The machine has a Smartlink 56K Voice Data Modem (At least thats's what it says in Device Manager)
When I installed Windows XP Home SP2 it recognized it and installed windows drivers for it OK

It connects to Wanadoo OK but constantly drops out after 5 - 10 minutes whether you are browsing or sitting idle.

I have tried lowering connection speed to 115200 even 9200 no joy, tried lowering send and receive buffers no joy. I have shutdown Zone Alarm no joy(Windows Firewall disabled).

There are no conflicts in device manager but the Modem is connected to Com 3 for some reason Com 1 and Com 2 are in use (ISA). When I tried to remove the modem from Device Manager the system hung.
Switched off and took out Modem and tried a spare generic Modem, no drivers available so switched off again and put the Smartlink back in, the found new hardware wizard did not pop up presumably as windows recognized the modem having previously installed it.

I have downloaded Windows XP Driver for Smart Link PCI V92 Modems (Only one available) from the Smart Link Web Site and will install it.

Before doing so I will switch off, remove Modem switch machine back on run the Modem Software Setup switch off install modem and switch back on and hopefully Windows will use the new Drivers.

How do I completely remove the old drivers??

Any other help for this kind of connection fault ? I have looked and tried everything? I think?

Any help would be great
Ta
:whistling:

Advertisements