Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

red hat crisis

• Please log in to reply

novice1583

novice1583

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi.i installed windows xp on my 80 gb hard disk with 15 gb free space. Then, i used this free space to install red hat linux 8 .I installed everything pretty well and i chose the option to boot from the boot partition and not from MBR.Then,it started installing and it asked for second cd .so i did as i was toldand after a while i was told there is an error in the 2nd cd and it gave a dialog box saying to store something in the floppy.there was an option to debug and i ve chosen it.I was sent
to pba prompt(i dont know what it is) and no matter what idid i could not get out of it.so i restarted the system and i cant find any boot loader. i ve chosen grub as the boot loader.I was not given any option to store a boot disk.so i dont have boot floppy.please help me as i am a newcomer to this and i am pretty much confused.please tell how to find my grub and how to boot into linux.please help me.pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

Advertisements

novice1583

novice1583

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i was able to boot into windows xp .

novice1583

novice1583

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
please tell me how to continue with the installation.I even tried upgrading but it gets stuck at "finding packages"and doesnt move forwar.please tell me how to continue with the installation.

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Oh I'm sure there is some pretty good manual on that somewhere...

:tazz: Sorry, I had to say that ;)

I somehow get the impression this isn't the most linux-oriented site.
( Dead give-away, the OS-forum is subdivided into
Windows, Windows and other OSses, not Linux and the rest ;) )

I've tried installing some other distribution of linux for 14 days in a row.
It never worked as it should. My advice... leave it. It's more trouble than
it's worth. :)

I hope somebody else can help you, I'm useless.

Good luck!
Ojo

sysera

sysera

• Pip
  • 7 posts
You should be able to boot up again from the first Redhat CD and begin your installation again, during the installation it will give you the option to re-install the bootloader and also make a bootable floppy for emergencies.

\\`ired

\\`ired

• Pip
  • 9 posts
First off it sounds like you wound up with a Corrupted second disc. I've had this problem before. When you download a linux distro always make sure you get the most recent version from the companies main distro mirrors. If theres an error with Redhat it would've been found with the media check that runs on installation. If you didn't run the media check the first time you used the CDs, you should have. This ensures that you won't get to the last disk and become insanely frustrated with the distro and throw it away.

Second you say redhat linux 8. Redhat Linux reached its end of life cycle this year. That means there will be no more security updates for potentially dangerous security holes. You should definately consider trashing Redhat and upgrading to the new project (Fedora Core RC3 - If not familiar with SELinux Firewall you should use FC RC2) to ensure that your computer is secure.

You can find the newest Redhat Project for Fedora Core at http://fedora.redhat.com/.

Also you may consider using the free version of Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 called CentOS available at http://www.centos.org/. Being a enterprise version it tends to be much more stable and suitable for heavy use.