Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Celeron D 340 Acceptable Temperature

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have, as you can see below, an Intel Celeron D 340 2.93 GHz Processor. I was just curious as to what would be an acceptable or optimum temperature. I know that it is running at a safe temp at the moment, about 53C, but I want to know if I need to get that down or not. Just wondering is all, not worried really, just want to know everyone's opinion is all.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont want it any higher than that, if thats your idle your load may very well be to high and i would be tempted to take some cooling measures.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Under the load of running Doom 3 I think that it was only running about 10 degrees higher. I may order some cooling gel and use it to get the temp down a little

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I decided to try something with my case fans as well. I switched the rear fan to intake and the side fan to output. I figured that it might change the temp a little, but it dropped the idle temp by about 3-4 degrees. I still plan on ordering some silver cooling compound seeing as I never did use any when I installed everything. Maybe it will help lower the temp even more. Idle temp now is about 48-49C.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
The cooling compound is extremely important with a new computer, processor or heasink. It provides extremely good conduction between the heatsink and the CPU, dropping your CPU temperature lower (if your heatsink is good enough). Also, if your heatsink is old or a bit dusty, remove it after switching the computer off, and take it outside, and blow all of the dust out from the heatsink. That will prevent clogging.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
washing out ur motherboard and processor with water and soap helps too. NO im kidding but atleast wipe down ur fans with a small moist towel this will remove dust =).

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
ok, which do ya'll suggest. The grease cooling agent or the silver cooling gel? Looking at both and I am not sure which to use becuase I am not sure which will work better

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Get arctic silver 5, if you didnt use any compund youre very lucky you didnt permanently damage the cpu its a vital thing to have.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Well, such was my ignorance at the time that I built the thing. I think taht the only thing that has saved me from permantent damage is probably eh amount of cooling equip that I put in it and the small amount that I actually use it. It stays off most of the time really. The realy shocker to me, now that I know what I do, is that running Doom 3 for extended periods of time did not do any damage. that can be a demanding program at times. Oh well, thank God for small favors.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
How long does it generally take to "break in" the thermal gel once it is applied? I ask because I applied it and there has been very little change in the running temp of my CPU.

Advertisements

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks everyone. Got the cooling compound on there and the new idle temp is down to about 45-46 degrees. Not a huge difference, but I am happy with it seeing it is an Intel processor. Thanks alot.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you reading the temp from the bios? I bought a tiger direct celeron kit and the processor runs at 36° idle and up to 42° when photo editing. It may be your sensor on the processor may be off. If you could find someone that had one of these it could tel you the real temp.

http://www.landinst..../pocketherm.htm

SRX660

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I guess there is a possibility that the sensor could be off. Those reading came right out of Everest and the Sensor is Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h). Right now it is running a little warm according to the sensor and what is usually runs. It is 48 right now. Here recently the idle temp has been as low as about 41-43. OH well, at least it is not as high as it was before.

goo321

goo321

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok this is scaring me. i looked other places and they list the max temp. for celeron D 340 at 67 ° C and other people trying to fix temps in 70's.

i was under impression current intel cpu's automatically slow or throttle down on overheating. since temperatures began warming due to spring/summer my computer got louder (fan speed increased). my idle temp is 53° C. 100% cpu is 61° C. I bought the computer new, emachines, very cheap. $300 or $350.

i believe idle of 53 is just fine.

Specs for all processors is here.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

max cover temp listed at 67.
"If the on-Die thermal probe reaches approximately 135°C (its catastrophic temperature), the CPU will automatically shut down and "the system bus signal THERMTRIP# will go active and stay active until the processor has cooled down and a RESET# has been initiated."

Edited by goo321, 23 April 2006 - 11:44 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
135 is way to high most are set to kick it at 70-90 depending on the mobo bios settings. 53 is ok but a little high, the stock fans they package with celerons and in fact most intel cpus are fairly rubbish which doesnt help really.