Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking sharing no longer working-SOLVED

• Please log in to reply

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I receintly had a bad virus infection, but thanks to these forums with the help of Sam, we were able to clean my computer. THANKS AGAINS SAM!
However, this network problem came around about the same time as the infection. I have another computer hooked to this one via CAT5 cable and this one is connected to the internet via a wireless DSL connection. I have the connection shared so both of them could access the internet. However, now when I try to share my connection on this computer, I get an error "An error occured while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The specific service does not exist as an installed service." Is there just a setting I am missing?

Please disreguard this post. Problem solved. I had to dig up my motherboard CD to install the intergrated ethernet drivers.

Edited by GTStangman2k1, 02 April 2006 - 06:43 AM.

Advertisements

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have the same problem and don't know how to resolve it so could the admin or s member of staff look into this please.

Thanks.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello GTStangman2k1 and welcome to G2G, :whistling:

To install ICS just simply go to the Control Panel and Double Click on "Add / Remove Programs" and then on the left side, Select "Add / Remove Windows Components" then Select the "Networking Services" and "Other Network File and Print Services". then follow the instructions from there.

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you for the reply. I just tried that and I am still getting that error when I try to share my connection.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Lets check and see if ICS has actually been installed and turned on. Follow these steps and then post a reply:

1. Hold down the “Windows” key on the keyboard, and then press the “R” key on the keyboard. This opens the RUN Command.
2. Type in: services.msc :and press the OK button. This opens the Local Service Manager.
3. Scroll Down to the Entry: "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing" <If you do not have this entry then stop here and post a reply... if you do then proceed on>
4. Right Click on it and select "Properties"
5. On the "General" tab, Click the drop down Menu for "Startup Type" and select "Automatic"
6. On the "General" tab, under "Service Status" Click the "Start" button.
7. Hit the "Apply" button and then the "Ok" button.

If these steps were succeessful then test your ICS now and post a reply back.

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Cowboy,

Windows/Firewall is not in my Services list.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
If you tried to Install the ICS service and it did not install (not showing up in the Local services), then something may be wrong with your operating system. I will try to find a Windows XP expert to assist us in this process further.

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am not sure how to install a service so I did not try.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I was referring to what I had you try in Post #3 and then What I had you check on in post # 5... which was unsuccessful in both... I did get some help from a Windows Moderator "Keith" and that is what he said to try:

You can also use the network set up wizard to install ICS

To install Connection Sharing, you can either use the Network Setup Wizard or configure the shared connection manually.

To run the Network Setup Wizard, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Network Setup Wizard.

2. Click Next until you see the Select a connection method dialog box.

3. Click This computer connects directly to the Internet, and then complete the wizard to successfully install Connection Sharing.

http://support.micro...kb/308006/en-us

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I went through the wizard and chose the option you mentioned. I got an error saying "An error occured during configuration of the network on this computer. You can configure your network manually, or run the wizard again with different settings".

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The only thing I can think of, is I have 3 devices in Device manager with a ? over them. (I did a fresh reinstall of windows last week).

?Ethernet Controller
?RAID Controller
?Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Windows can not find the drivers for any of these, and I dont recall any of this hardware on my computer.