Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp in x64 box

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Will Windows XP Pro work with a x64 processor?

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Yes. You just won't be taking advantage of having a 64 bit processor. Personally I'd stick with 32 bit, to avoid program compatibility issues, but others will argue that the speed is worth the incompatibilities.

Up to you to decide, but yes, XP will work in a x64 box.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yes, itll work. Microsoft is coming out with a new OS soon, I believe its called vista, which will be able to take advantage of the 64 bit processors. Its just a matter of time. I have NO problems with mine.
-Pete.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Vista is slated to come out sometime in 2007

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
The current vista supports 64 bit processors. I believe its end of December 2007. The beta is pretty good (though I'm using the 32bit 5308 build).

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I heard vista was designed strictly for 64bit processors, but you say its on 32 bit as well?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
vista (at least the beta) has both 32bit and 64 bit versions since most people do not actually have 64 bit procs yet

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Dell are still selling most of thier computers with Pentium 4s. None of the Pentiums are 64 bit yet, and in most systems you will find a pentium. However most new computers from various brands are going with the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ or higher.

Seems I'll be going for a 64bit soon, lucky my water cooler supports all AMDs and Intels. :whistling:.