Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with CD drive and DVD drive!

• Please log in to reply

Soundfondler

Soundfondler

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys,

This site came recommended by a friend - thought I'd check it out!

I've got two unrelated (I think) problems -

The first is my DVD drive. When it plays dvds or cds, the sound is stuttery (sp?), I've read on here to uninstall it and then restart - which was all well and dandy but the same problem is occuring.

The second is with my CD drive - it refuses to play most CD-R discs, just saying 'Please insert disk into drive'. It also refused to play a dual layer DVD/CD (Aerosmith - Rocking the joint, I'm desperate to have it on my iPod but the DVD drive refuses to play it properly either). I've uninstalled this drive as well, but to no avail.

The CD drive is a CyberDrv CW07D CD-R/RW (driver version 5.1.2535.0)
The DVD drive is a JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-166S (also driver version 5.1.2535.0 ?!?!)

I guess they run off the same driver ?! (I have no real idea what that means...but at least I'm honest..)

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

I'm going to start with the DVD drive for now, then work on the CDRW drive problem afterwards.

Can you give me your basic system specs please? i.e cpu, memory & sound card. Also can you tell me if your sound card is integrated or PCI?

What software do you have installed for playing DVDs with & what CD Burning software do you have installed?

Soundfondler

Soundfondler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey thanks for the reply!

OK, basic specs:

Athlon 2400+, 768MB ram, Windows XP SP2, for my soundcard I'm actually using a Line6 Toneport UX2 (plugged into a USB, it lets you play guitar through your computer speakers using various amp modelings) - which I did in fact start using recently - the onboard one is an Nvidia nForce - I duno if that helps.

I'm pretty sure that the problem lies within the DVD player - as its not just the sound thats stuttery - its the whole thing - the video and everything. With any CDs and DVDs it takes a while to notice anything is there.

I'll just try hooking the other sound card up to my speakers and trying it but I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with it - as I've had no problems with the Toneport before.

Software for DVDs are WMP, Real Player, Intervideo WINDVD - I've tried them all to no success.

For the CD-R drive, I don't use it to burn things - but in my computer it dosen't recognise theres a disk in there (for most copied discs, which work fine in CD players/other computers) - it just says 'Please insert disc in drive F:

Thanks again for your time.

Soundfondler

Soundfondler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Can I bump this?

Guess I just did :whistling: