Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Organizing Start Menu/all programs

• Please log in to reply

allen31540

allen31540

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: I am so embarrassed to have to ask this:
On my Windows98 oper sys I went in and put folders titled things like games, online games, picture programs, office programs, audio programs, etc and so on in the all programs area of the start menu and I used sub-folders so that the children would know what was what. Then I put the programs into the new folders to organize the all programs area. On Windows xp I have not been able to figure out how to do that. I have searched windows help and online, and also in your forum. I must be searching incorrectly, as I am sure I am not the only person who wants to do this, or I may be the only dummy who can't figure it out on their own. If you could help me I would love it. Thanks :blink:

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi allen31540,

No need to be embarrassed, we all need to ask questions at sometime or another. :whistling:

In XP create the new folder in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

The All Users ensure that it appears in everyone's start menu if you have more than one users account.

In the C:\Documents and Settings folder you should also have a folder for each user name. You may have to drag some of the program links from the folder with your account name.

HTH
Octagonal

Edited by Octagonal, 23 March 2006 - 04:23 PM.

allen31540

allen31540

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: Thank you so very much!