Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No menues or tool bars in Word 2000

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
So on one of the machines on my network i beleive the user has done something weird and try as i might i cant fix it. For some reason when he opens word, none of the tool bars or menues are showing at the top of the screen. At first I thought that he was just viewing in full screen mode but that is not the case, i think somehow he deleted all of his tool bars. How do I get them back because right now he isnt happy and unfortunatly hes the boss.

Thanks

Edited by RjBass, 27 March 2006 - 08:52 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open up word and choose help then detect and repair and check both boxes then press ok (if you can't get to the help menu there go to add/remove programs..choose office...and click the change/remove button...then choose repair)

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
ya i tired the repair option already from add/remove programs, that didnt seem to change anything. you see, i cant even get to the help menue. none of that stuff is showing. no help, file, edit, etc.... its all gone. but that [bleep] paper clip is still there.

Edited by RjBass, 23 March 2006 - 02:35 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah yes the paperclip...fun little guy

weell...in the absence of toolbars you cant turn the toolbars on...i would say uninstall/reinstall the full office suite? or just word if that's the only program with issues

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
dsenette

I hope you don't mind if I add a suggestion.

RjBass

Try this.
Open Word and press ALT + V, that should enable you to see the View menu. If this works press T to display the Toolbar menu, click the Standard and the Formatting for the default settings. Close and the restart Word. Hopefully this will fix your problem.

EDIT: Please post back and let us know if this has fixed the problem. :whistling:

HTH
Octagonal

Edited by Octagonal, 23 March 2006 - 04:42 PM.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Word, thanks for the tip, i'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Actually after just now opening my own word program i realised that your tip may not work. Earlier today when at the messed up station I attempted to hit Alt F with no results which leads me to beleive that Alt V will prob produce very similar results, but all the same I will give it a shot.

Edited by RjBass, 23 March 2006 - 10:28 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a question...if you log on as a different user...same problem? how bout safe mode? (statbbing in the dark here..but you never know)

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok first Alt V didnt work. And yes if I log on as the admin instead of his user name it works fine.

I just got this piece of info today, apparently he was using Power Point and went into Word to try to fix something. After saving his work was when the problem with Word started. So now Im thinking that the issue with Word has something to do with Power Point. What do you think?

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well absolutly nothing i have tried seems to work. Word wont even seem to uninstall correctly for some reason. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and do this the hard way.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!!!!!

It was a registry error.

To fix the problem you need to edit the registry. Close Word before using this solution.

1. Open the registry by clicking start, run, then regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word. (Note the 9.0 refers to Word 2000, where as other version of Word will either be 10.0 for Word 2002, 11.0 for Word 2003, and 8.0 for Word 98)
3. In the Word folder, export the Data folder to your desktop or another place where you can find it easily.
4. Delete the Data folder in the registry.
5. Close the registry and restart Word. The problem should be fixed. If not close Word, and click on the expoted Data folder from the registry to set your registry back to its previous position before the edit.
6. If the solution worked, delete the exported Data folder to ensure that you dont click on it again and reset your registry to the corrupted version again.

If the problem isnt fixed after editing the registry, then a complete uninstall of Office Pro will need to happen before it can be fixed.

Edited by RjBass, 27 March 2006 - 08:50 AM.