Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant install IE

• Please log in to reply

john1974

john1974

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Everytime I try to install internet explorer, it says to restart computer for changes to take affect. I do that and then my computer wont boot up shows 3 windows saying it cannot find certain dll's then says to restart. only way I can get comp to boot is to go to safe mode, and select boot from last know working config.. any ideas...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what version of IE are you trying to install...and why are you trying to install I.E. anyway?

also...to get rid of y our dll error message try doing a system restore to a date previous to when you messed up

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
If you are missing dlls try: http://www.dll-files.com/ to get them.

john1974

john1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

what version of IE are you trying to install...and why are you trying to install I.E. anyway?

also...to get rid of y our dll error message try doing a system restore to a date previous to when you messed up

IE 6 latest version, Because IE was uninstalled due to many comp errors. And I cannot do a system restore it keeps telling me unable to restore.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, XP has no ability to uninstall Internet Explorer, in fact there's no newer version (apart from the beta version of IE7) to upgrade it with. You shouldn't be able to install IE at all.

john1974

john1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I used IE eradicator or whatever it was called.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
great...a regedit program....this is why i try not to let software monkey with my registry....from the reading of the software..it should be safe...(SHOULD BE)....but something seems to have mucked up the works....did i already ask about doing a system restore?

john1974

john1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes I did a system restore but all my restore points were gone, so I went back far as I could. which wasnt far enough.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

john1974

john1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No I dont have a XP cd Since I borrowed it to get XP. But I should have it by sunday so I can try the repair.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Since I borrowed it to get XP

.....so the xp installed on y our system..was installed using someone elses cd?

john1974

john1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ya they bought it but it wouldnt work on there computer, so they bought another computer. I am in the process of buiying the XP cd from them.