Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% CPU Usage problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mneubey

mneubey

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not sure why my computer all the sudden has this problem as of yesterday, while I look at the system processes it picks one application to submit 99% of the CPU. Here's a hijack log, I would be forever grateful if someone could help me figure this one out :whistling:

{deleted hijack this log}

Edited by coachwife6, 23 March 2006 - 04:28 PM.

Advertisements

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
just gotta ask. what application was at 99%?

reviewing your log. the new.net has got to go. I'll look a little further. shrotly we'll have some staff in here as well.

Edited by gronka, 23 March 2006 - 02:37 PM.

mneubey

mneubey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks!! Right at the moment it's on Internet Explorer, I can't close it. But usually it's on whatever browser I have up which is usually Firefox.

gronka

gronka

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
{Please do not provide malware assistance unless you have gone through GeekU}

The information you provided will not work on his computer and will disconnect his internet access.

Edited by coachwife6, 23 March 2006 - 04:26 PM.

mneubey

mneubey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I just got rid of them and am about to restart my computer I'll let you know what happens in a few

mneubey

mneubey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Finally, the only way I can get my browser working is by starting the Computer up in safe mode, then reseting it. I'll run hijack this in a second, but 99% of my CPU's usage is being taken up by a program called wuauclt.exe.

mneubey

mneubey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I guess the new.net won't be deleted it says I need to download spybot or something to get rid of it. I actually just ran two different programs to check for spyware before I came here, apparently they didn't catch them.

{deleted hijack this log.}

Edited by coachwife6, 23 March 2006 - 04:28 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please do not post hijack this logs in the 2000 forum unless asked to. If you need assistance, please follow these instructions.

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Also, your windows is not updated to SP1. Before you post in the malware forum, make sure you follow these instructions.

We can definitely help you, but first you need to help us. The first step in this process is to apply Service Pack 1a for Windows XP. Without this update, you're wide open to re-infection, and we're both just wasting our time.
Click here: http://www.microsoft...p1/default.mspx
Apply the update, reboot, and post a fresh Hijack This log.

mneubey

mneubey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Let me tell you a little about the "progress" I've made since I first posted this. First off by accident I found something from newdotnet in my internet protocol, which apparently wasn't picked up by my spyware programs. I finally got rid of that and am now at least able to run my computer fine in safe mode. Still when I boot Windows up it takes like 15 minutes to do so, and is still using 100% of my cpu. It took me a while to get my computer stable enough to install sp1, but it's done ... any suggestions as to what next?

{edited out hijack this log}

Edited by coachwife6, 24 March 2006 - 08:55 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

. any suggestions as to what next?

Yes, please follow my previous instructions.

I am deleting your hijack this log in this thread again and I am closing the thread.