Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

parts list

• Please log in to reply

a19j

a19j

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
hi im getting a custom built new computer. could you tell me if this is a good list of parts to choose?
thank you

CASE : X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control (Silver Color)

CPU : (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio

MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)

VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 6800 GS 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD

HARD DRIVE : 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

Optical Drive : LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (SILVER COLOR)

SOUND : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AU

POWER:NZXT PF500 500WATT PERFORMANCE POWER ATX 2.0 POWER SUPPLY

COOLING: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS

right now the thing im most skeptical about is the motherboard..what do you think about it?

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks to go! - I am Sam.

500W Should be sufficient for todays hardware demands, an AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+ should be extremely stable. I personally have an nforce chipset, and find thier motherboard chipset drivers are good, 1gb ram should be sufficient, though I recently upgraded to 1.5gb, but programs I run are extremely demanding. The 6800GS seems a pretty good card, I have one on order for my media center. SATA 250GB HDD should fill your needs.

That there is a good system, though if it was mine id upgrade the ram, but I dont know what type of user you are.

BTW, What's wrong with the motherboard?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

BTW, What's wrong with the motherboard?

And more importantly, what make/model is the motherboard?

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I was wondering about the motherboard because it had some bad reviews. I guess i'll just disregard that then.

im getting this from cyberpowerpc.com (http://www.cyberpowe...onfigurator_top)
for about 950, if i upgrade the ram to two gigs then it'll be about a hundred buccks more...I am gonna use this comp for some gaming and video editing. Is the extra ram a necessity? also, is it still a good idea to get this now?..I want it to last a while and be fairly future proof and able to upgrade, im curious about this because of the new vista coming out soon. Should i wait?

thanks

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i heard there is a new socket type coming out soon, is this true? should i wait for it?

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Just get whatever you can afford right now. Technology keeps changing if you wait, your wait will never end.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
you can choose no ram and then buy 2 gigs from new egg corsair value select for about 150 dollars if you live in the usa

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145579

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
there isnt an option to choose no ram, only 512mb so buying the ram from new egg wont be a difference in price. thanks anyways though :whistling:

is it better to spend extra money on more ram or on a better video card?

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
well it depends as long as ur video card isnt more than your ram like a 512 video card andu only have like 256 ram

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
For video editing and playing games, is it better worth the money to upgrade from 1gb ram to 2gb, or to keep the 1gb and get a better video card than the 6800gs? Also, How long do you think this pc will last before i have to upgrade it? im hoping at least 2 years. is this reasonable?

thanks for all the help btw its great

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
I love the 6800gs good price i got 2 for 150 each also what kind of games are you going to be playing if its games that take up alot of ram then get a 2gig but if your going to play games that take up like 300 ram then get a 1 gig and get dual 6800 or get a 7900 GT your choice.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I've heard there is a new Intel cpu coming out and its gonna be really good so if I were you I'd wait for that. Plus if your gonna spend some money on graphics get a 512 radeon their pretty good my friend has one.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Also I think you can max out your ram to 4 gigs and if you can afford it, then do it, because its not bad to have too much ram.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Yeah and Also you can edit your post to use up less room =) btw hes like on a budget and intels are great when it coems to encoding video if thats what your going to be doing get one if not go for the AMD processors.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The new "good" intel cpus are yet to come out and its gonna be a while and no one knows if they are gonna be good for gaming, they are using an on chip varient of the MS super fetch technology where you can use flash memory as well as ram, has certain advantages but yet to see what itll be like in gaming situation, they arent out yet you shouldnt base predictions on what you think something is going to be like. Intel is pretty pants for a home rig, not as good at gaming and they really price themsleves out of the custom market.