Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

parts list

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I read a review in tomshardware(i think) comparing a 2.66ghz conroe vs a OC'd FX-60 at 2.8ghz. The conroe beat the FX-60 in almost everything.

Advertisements

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
im thinking a little about building it myself instead of custom, i looked around on newegg but i actually couldnt find a better price there then on cyberpower.

this is the system i have configured on cyber power...do you think i could save money, or get better hardware by building it myself? i don't really want to go over 1 grand. if you find a better deal somewhere else, or a better system for 1 grand, could you let me know about it? thanks

# *BASE_PRICE: [+1709]
# CAS: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control [-74] (Silver Color)
# CASUPGRADE: NONE
# CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
# CD: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+24] (BEIGE COLOR)
# CD2: NONE [-35]
# CABLE: None
# FLASHMEDIA: None
# FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BEIGE COLOR)
# FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [-50]
# HDD: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
# HDD2: NONE
# IEEE_CARD: NONE
# KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard (Black Color)
# MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL [-16] (Special!!! BEIGE COLOR MICROSOFT USB INTELLIMOUSE)
# MONITOR: NONE
# MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
# MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY [-90] (Corsair Value Select)
# MODEM: NONE
# NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/1000 NETWORK CARD
# OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 [-15]
# PRINTER: None
# PRINTER_CABLE: None
# PRO_WIRING: None
# POWERSUPPLY: **Cyberpower Recommended** NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply
# RAID: NONE
# RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
# SOFT: Microsoft® Works v8.0
# SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
# SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS [-90]
# TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
# TVRC: None
# UPS: None
# USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
# USBHD: NONE
# VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
# VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6800 GS 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [-125]
# VIDEO2: NONE [-290]
# WIRELESSCARD: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
# WIRELESSPOINT: NONE
# ZIP: NONE
# _PRICE: (+948)

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
hmm its strange how i can't find a lower price for the machine by buying all seperate parts..the cyberpower is always lower..even though its custom built too.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Nice stuff i got almsot the same and a monitor and a few better parts for 1500 so thats a kinda good price.

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
so you think that i should stick with cyberpower? or can i get it for less by building it myself?

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Your choice i dont feel like doing the math but w/e you want i like custom better because i know what i have and i know what im getting

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
custom as in a site like cyberpower? Ya i think that i'll just stick with cyberpower, i was just wondering if i would save anything if i built it all myself

thanks

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Find the items on newegg.com add all the prices up for the products your buying and compare em if you think you can handle building it yourself and if it saves you atleast 100 dollars go for it if its just like 20 dollars you save just buy it from cyberpower they might even give you a warrenty that covers the whole computer

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ya i did configure it on newegg, it was actually more...idk wats up with that but whatever. any other things u think i should add on the configured comp right now? or u think im set with wat im choosing right now.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Like i said thats your choice i had a budget of 1500 dollars and i bought myself a nice gaming PC. But its all up to you and what you want i cant decide for you just give you an opinion and that PC is pretty alright BTW does it come with a monitor?

Advertisements

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
no, it doesnt come but with a monitor, but i already have one, so i'l use the one i already have

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
What yougoing to do with your old computer?

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ill use it for less demanding work, and internet cause im not using this new one for internet much. for video editing, and games like rts (age of empires 3) is it worth it to get more ram or a better graphics card. also how long will this comp last before its wise to upgrade?

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
1 gig ram and a better video card is all you need for a while then you might need to upgrade your video card and processor in the future like in probally more than 6 years hopefully the video card im not to sure probally last you 5 years minimum. Mine has lasted me 6 years and its a geforce 2 ohh yeah im oldschool.

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
for 50 bucks more i can get liquid cooling, what is the main difference between the regular fans and the liquid cooling?

someone recommended that i get the antec II 550 powersupply as opposed to the one i have now.

what are you guy's opinions?
thanks