Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

parts list

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont really need the extra power but if you want it then you can just get it, wont make to much difference. Liquid cooling is the kind of thing where you get what you pay for as a general rule anything under 100-150 isnt worth getting and would be a danger to the system, there are a couple of exceptions but they usuall are only slightly cooler than the stock and on par with the better aftermarket stuff and the after market air can often be better, water is slightly less noise as its a fewer number of fans.

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Get water cooling if you want but its a waste if your not overclocking and also get Antec they are very trusted powersupplys

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
what is the difference in performance between the dual 3800 vs the 4200?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

what is the difference in performance between the dual 3800 vs the 4200?

The 3800+ x2 is 2.0ghz the 4200+ x2 is 2.2ghz.. :whistling:

Not really that much performance but its always best to get the fastest cpu you can afford after you get the fastest video card you can afford also..

Edited by jrm20, 05 April 2006 - 08:13 PM.

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
is it better worth the money to go with a 3800 with 2gigs of ram, or to stay with one gig and upgrade to 4200?

i play games like age of empires 3, but im not that much into gaming. i want this to edit some video too is the better processor better or the ram? also do you know why its cheaper to build this system on cyberpower than to get all the parts and build it myself?

thanks

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a few more questions i think im gonna use this post to sum up everything.
thanks for patience

im a little puzzled. so far, i think i have a pretty good deal on a custom comp.

what i will be using this computer for is some gaming, (age of empires 3 and battle for middle earth style games mostly) i don't usually have many games that i play on the computer other than those. more importantly though i want thsi computer to be very good for video editing, with little or no lag most of the time.

ive configured this computer, but i am wondering if any of you have a different idea for the computer, with different parts ect. my budget is 1300. Do you think that this cyber power system is the best deal i can get? Ive been looking at newegg, tigerdirect, and other sites, but even buying all the parts seperatly costs more than the the cyberpower one.

any ideas for a different rig? how to improve this one? if you have any ideas could you please give me the imput?

here is the cyberpower configured pc.

*BASE_PRICE: [+1709]
CAS: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control [-74] (Silver Color)
CASUPGRADE: NONE
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+66]
CD: 16X DVD ROM (BEIGE COLOR)
CD2: LiteOn SHM-165H6S 16X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology [+17] (Black Color)
CABLE: None
FLASHMEDIA: None
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BEIGE COLOR)
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [-50]
HDD: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
HDD2: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard (Black Color)
MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL [-16] (Special!!! BEIGE COLOR MICROSOFT USB INTELLIMOUSE)
MONITOR: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
MODEM: NONE
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/1000 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 [-15]
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
PRO_WIRING: None
POWERSUPPLY: **Cyberpower Recommended** NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply
RAID: NONE
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SOFT: Microsoft® Works v8.0
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: Logitech S100 2.0 Stereo Speaker Set [-90] (BLACK COLOR)
TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
TVRC: None
UPS: None
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBHD: NONE
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
VIDEO: NEW !!! NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
VIDEO2: NONE [-290]
WIRELESSCARD: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
WIRELESSPOINT: NONE
ZIP: NONE
_PRICE: (+1257)

thank you so much for patience and help...its saving me lots of time

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
my friend suggested that 2 6600 video cards are all i need. is ths true?

can anyone take a look at the post above too?

thanks

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
2 6600 are slower than 1 7900 and cost more its a waste of cash dont do it

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would get one 7900gt instead, it is faster than 2 6600's or 2 6600gt's.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
And the 6600 cards are still even now overpriced for what they are, you are better with just one card. Two cards would also have the disadvantage of consuming more power and making more heat and more noise.

Advertisements

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
cool thanks i'll go with the 7900 then

how about the rig above, what;s your imput?

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i just heard about the release date for amd's new socket in june. should i wait for socket am2? if i get this now won't it become outdated quick?

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
now it wont become outdated and if its coming out in june you could wait and pay more or get your pc now wait a few years upgrade for cheaper =). yes i am on 24/7

a19j

a19j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
hmm so if i get a new one now, it should be fine and ready to keep up with new games, and software? at least for 3 years? how much longer will they support the 939 socket. like the pci and how it got replaced with pci-e.

can u tell me if the current setup i have is future proof? what can i do to improve it?

thanks alot

ps: can this current rig play new games at the high settings on graphics?

Edited by a19j, 13 April 2006 - 11:48 PM.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Ohh yes its very future proof and your video card right now is top of the line my 6800gs can play most games on max imagine what yourr 7900 is capable of. And i think it should last more than 3 years but then again a good gamer upgrades once every few months.