Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE, task manager, multiple applications hanging

• Please log in to reply

crysi1

crysi1

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have no problem connecting to the internet but then my start page partially loads and stops responding. Then when I try to bring up the task manager to end task (or ANY other application) they do not respond as well. I can't even restart my Pc during this time. Most of the time if I wait 5 minutes only then will the start page or any other application begin to perform normally. Running Windows XPsp2. I'm on Net Zero & AOL dialupw/accelerators. I have Mcafee Online/active shield and Microsoft Antispyware running. I have 768 MB RAM so memory is not a problem. :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try disabling the accelerators

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hoorah to Keith and the Tuneup utilities 2006! I can surf the net like I used to...and no more hanging applications. I was very surprised at how this software detected things on my PC and in my registry (that Registry Mechanic did not). I would definitely recommend the average user giving Tuneup a try. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know