Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did we get scammed ?

• Please log in to reply

Valerie

Valerie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My daughter was looking for a new computer.

A computer "friend" of mine offered her an Amd Athelon...2.4 ghz, with 256 mb ram.

When he delivered it...and set it up for her and left.......and she right-clicked on my computer and went down to properties,

this is what is in the specs.

Via Samuel 2

796 mhz

192 mb ram.

I emailed him and asked him why the specs were not the same as what he told us we were paying for, and this is what he said.

My mistake on the 2.4 . The chip is double clocked at 1.4.
There is a 256Mb DDR RAM Chip on the Motherboard, However 64Mb is allocated for the video card.

Did he scam me and my daughter ?

Thanks for any info.

Valerie

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Valerie,

He maybe correct with the ram but I don't understang about the cpu, could you download this program its free Everest

Run the progrm and list what it says about the cpu, ram and video. Maybe we can sort this out.

Also if you don't mind it would help if you told me what you paid for it, how old the system is, what operating system it has installed on it and if it came with a operating system cd.

Rick

Valerie

Valerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there...thankyou for your response.

I will have to get my daughter to download that file on her computer...she lives in another city....so it will probably have to wait until tomorrow for that.

I can tell you that the computer is new.
It has Windows XP installed on it...with no disc.
It did not come with a monitor.
And she paid $425.00 tax included.

If he is correct about the ram....would that harm the computer to be double clocking ?

thanks so much
hugzzzzzzzzz
Valerie

Valerie

Valerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ooops...I forgot to tell you that the $425.00 is canadian.

thanks
valerie

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am sorry I don't know what that compares to in the US. If you know how that compares that would help.

I am not sure what he means by double clocked, amd uses a term "double clocked" when refering to there cpu front speed bus and clock speed, Everest will tell us more.

If this fellow built the computer he should have included a copy of XP with it, if it is a brand computer such as Compaq, HP, or Dell please tell me witch and the model number.

796 mhz for a new computer does not seam right and is not a 1.4 but Everest will tell you exactly what it is and you can compare it to what you were quoted

Hope I am of some help without being to techy

Rick

Koretek

Koretek

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Its really kinda simple, if this is a used PC yes that was way too much money and thats not my opinion thats FACT, if this is a brand new PC I am wondering Y oh Y do people buy things that are relatively expensive and then later ask about price? You could have gotten a Gateway 3200 AMD, with a DVD Writer, and CDRW with Neforce4 Video from Nvidia (and sound) AND the monitor WITH the XP cd and a bunch of other software with discs all included and other little things to make life easier as well as 512MB of Ram all for 600$ american.

Also, theres no such thing as the Ram is being used by the Video Card, because ALL video cards have there own Ram, also fact.
Via Samuel 2

http://www.ntcompati.../story3490.html

Via Samuel is a CYRIX Processor, it has NOTHING to do with AMD, heres a site for you to look at. I would go right back and hit this dude in the head with it, if theres any kind of paperwork you could even sue this dude, if so I want a piece Ok?
Lastly, oh boy stories like this KILL ME, I will tell you now, a 1.4 overclocked which damages your CPU btw, is nowhere NEAR a 2.4............. He is trying to cover his butt, what he IS SAYING is that this is a little under 800 MHZ processor which he speeded up to run faster "LIKE" the bigger processor which still would mean that you are burning the processor up and you still wuld not have anywhere near the computing power of the 1.4 chip, never mind about speed. This dude is a straight up out and out crook and I am sorry to be the one to have to tell you this.

Edited by Koretek, 26 February 2005 - 12:42 PM.

Valerie

Valerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thankyou for your reply....but I was not worried about the price.
One of the members who was trying to help me asked how
much my daughter paid for it.

And I have to tell you that $600.00 american...is about $800 dollars here in Canada...plus tax...and as a single mom ...my daughter could NOT afford that much money !

She can only purchase what she can afford...as I am sure a lot of people do.

All we wanted to know is.... if there was much difference..in what we were told we were getting, and what we actually got.

thankyou
Valerie

Valerie

Valerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here are the spec that you asked for about her computer.

CPU properties

CPU type-Via C3, 800 mhz
CPU Alias- WinChip 5B, Samuel 2,Cyrux 111A
L1-code cache-64 kb
L1 data cache-64 kb
L2 cache-64 kb Con die, full speed

Physical

Package type-370 Pin cpGA
Package size-4.95 cmx4.95cm
Trans-15.8 million
CMOS
Die Size-52mm2

Voltage- 1.6V
1/0 Voltage-3.3V
Typical Power-6.1-1.2 (depending on clock speed)
Maxium power-10.4-10.6 (depending on clock speed)

CPU name- Via Tech Inc.

Memory
total-191.MB
Used-134.MB
free-57.57 MB

Swap Source-
total- 4274 MB
used-302 mb
free-3972 mb

Virtual memory-
total- 4465 mb
used-434mb
free- 4031mp

windows Video-mem-64mb

I hope this is the information that you need...if not...please let me know.

Thanks so much
Valerie

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well valerie as you can see you have a 800 mhz Cyrix processor not a AMD 2.4ghz or a 1.4 ghz

If that is how Everest listed it then I don't think it is overclocked so to answer your question no it will not harm the computer but it will not perform anything like a AMD 1.4 either.

It seems you have 256mb of memory installed in the computer and have on board video so 64mb of that memory is allocated to video.

Yes there is a big difference in the processor, I do think you paid to much and you should have received a operating system cd so you have a way of restoring the operating system if/when the need occurs.

Sorry for asking the questions and making you go thru the download and all this but I just wanted to be sure I did not give you wrong info.

Rick

Valerie

Valerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That was no problem to download the program...it certainly gives you a lot of useful information about your computer.

And thankyou for letting me know what you think of it.
I didn't know enough about computers to straight out accuse him of selling my daughter a computer that she didn't want...but now I do.
I appreciate all the help that you gave me.

She bought the computer last week and he told us that there was a year warrenty....but we didn't sign anything....so I guess the battle is now on...lol.

Once again...thankyou...I really appreciate it.

Valerie

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and good luck

Windsun

Windsun

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
What you got was about a $300 (canadian) computer. You could have gotten a better used one cheaper.

Valerie

Valerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I just got an email from him, apologizing for his mistake.
He said that for compensation, he will give her another 256 mb ram and install it for her.

Should my daughter keep the computer and accept the ram ?

Thanks Valerie

Windsun

Windsun

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
If you were in the US I would say take it back, but apparently you don't have the competition or local stores there to drive down prices..

I just saw a computer that has more for around $200 at http://www.discountpc.net/

But then you have to add your taxes and shipping....

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Well I just got an email from him, apologizing for his mistake.
He said that for compensation, he will give her another 256 mb ram and install it for her.

Should my daughter keep the computer and accept the ram ?

Thanks Valerie

View Post

My personal feeling is since it isn't what you were told it was, tha he should do compensation by making/giving a system that meets what he said it would be wiht no extra cost coming out of your pocket. This is just my Personal opinon.

If he refuses to do so, then threaten him with legal action and remind him that it will cost him more to lose the legal action in court then it would to just give you a system that he told you he was giving you.

This is not legal advice as I am not an attorney.