Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did we get scammed ?

• Please log in to reply

SilverBird

SilverBird

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Valerie

I only joined Geeks to Go! today and reading this thread made me feel rather sad.

Friend? Hope you've crossed him off your Christmas Card list.

Either ask for a refund or a replacement machine that meets the specification originally offered.

My hubby is a qualified hardware engineer and was appalled to read this ... especially when this computer was sold to you by a "friend" who knew you had limited resources.

Please keep the forum posted as to how you progress with this.

Advertisements

Valerie

Valerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thankyou everyone for all your help.
He has offered to give my daughter another 256 mb ram....and she will accept it.
We have both been looking and just can't seem to find anything in her price range, so she is figuring that she can't get any better anyway.... We did look at the used computer, but none of these comes with a warenty...at least this one has a year. And believe me...if anything goes wrong with this computer....I will definately be going to him and demanding either a refund or another better computer. And I am prepared to take him to court !
My daughter has enough on her plate being a single mommy and working all hours of the week, so she has decided to take what she can get.
I have lost my faith in my "friend" and will never get him to look at my computer or purchace parts from him again.

Thanks so much
hugzzzzzzzzz
Valerie

Dale_o1

Dale_o1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Well I just got an email from him, apologizing for his mistake.
He said that for compensation, he will give her another 256 mb ram and install it for her.

Should my daughter keep the computer and accept the ram ?

do as you please, the extra 256 will help but your still stuck with the sorry Cyrex processor...

if it was me he'd have it sitting back in his shop in the morning... I've had a Cyrex 2 times, the first and last... a long time ago...

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Unfortunately the Via processors just cannot keep up in terms of price/performance with the AMD/Intel processors, they are designed more for embedded platfors, i.e. in-car mp3 players/nav systems, low-end home theater boxes, etc.

The other factor here that no on has mentioned is the percieved 'feel' of the computer. I have had clients that would not notice the difference between a 2.4GHZ and a 3.4GHz simply because of the tasks that they do. If the extra RAM helps her to complete her tasks more efficiently, and she is satisfied with the performance, then I guess all is well.

If it were myself or one of my clients that had bought that machine from a 'friend,' that friend would have gotten a few unkind words from their computer guy :tazz: