Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive not found

• Please log in to reply

Pelvis

Pelvis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
<_<
My computer ceme with Windows ME. I upgraded this to Windows XP proffessional. I installed a second hard drive to my computer and formatted it. I then had drive C: @20 Gig(original drive), and drive E: @40Gig(new drive).
All was well untill my computer got a virus which i couldn't get rid of. I tried installing Norton Anti-virus, but every time i tried to run it my computer shut down. To get rid of the virus i had to use the master CD supplied with the PC to reboot the system from scratch with windows ME, and then re-install Windows XP again. Now Norton works fine.
The problem i have is that now i don't have my 40Gig hard drive. My device manager is listing the drive and trouble shooting shows it as working properly, but if i go through windows explorer it isn't listed. In fact i can't find it anywhere.
I have tried shutting down, removing the drive, and restarting the system. This removes the hard drive from the device manager list, but when i refit the hard drive and turn the unit on again plug and play finds it but lists it as before. Can anyone help me.

Many Thanks. Pelvis

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome Pelvis <_<

Try this, Start -> Control Panel -> Adminitrative Tools, Click on the Computer Management icon, then the disk management folder. Is your 40gb rive displayed? Does it show it as partitioned and formated?

Pelvis

Pelvis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your help.
I did what you said and found that the drive is there, it is partitioned and it shows as healthy(active), but there is no volume letter allocated to it.
How can i allocate a volume letter to it so that i can use it? Do i have to delete the partition and then reinstall it from scratch.

Regards Pelvis

kimblehyde

kimblehyde

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
it sounds like the virus could have effected the root directory of the drive. i would repartition it and reformat it. it that doesn't work if you have it slaved set it up as a master drive because some drive are not compatible to be slaved together. if that doesn't work buy a new harddrive.