Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Printing Problem on network

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
on a small network i am having some issues. i have 2 windows 98 machines hooked up to the network and a windows 2000 server. on the windows 2000 server i have installed an hp laserjet 4v printer. previously, i was able to print to this printer from either windows 98 machine, but as of this week i get the following error message when i try to do so. the error message is:

There was an error writing to \\server\printer
the access code is invalid
this printer will be set to work offline
to save your print job in the local queue, click ok.

i have no idea why this problem has come up all of a sudden and wasnt able to find a definitive answer online... the problem is occuring on both windows 98 machines. i deleted the printer and reinstalled it, it let me does that fine, but still get that error every time i try to print. i am able to print to that printer using the server, and i am able to print to another printer using the windows 98 machines, so it is just their connection to the printer that is somehow not working.

if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

Dan R.

Dan R.

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I had a similar problem with a Win2000 print server, but my workstations run XP so I don't know if this is the same thing.

My problem was that I could not access the shared printer from one computer until I logged in to the server with a password. I tried every which way to remove the password protection, to no avail. So I upgraded the server to XP, which I have shared before without this problem, but suddenly both workstations wouldn't print before I had logged in over the network.

Any ideas how to disable this security feature - my wireless network is encrypted so I am not worried about the neighbours using my printer, I just want to be able to print from any computer in the house at any time.

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
not sure on that, i havent seen that problem... i definately think they are seperate issues because i am always logged on to that windows 2000 server, and defintely was when i was troubleshooting with these windows 98 machines. sorry to not be of any help there

Dan R.

Dan R.

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
But is your windows 98 machine logged in to the server? Can you open a shared folder on the server via network neighborhood on the win98 machine?

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
just to let everyone know, i deleted and re-installed the printer on the windows 2000 server, and now the printing is working from the windows 98 machines, so my problem is resolved... perhaps someone can help Dan with his... :whistling:

thanks!

Ritchie

Ritchie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also had a similar problem. After creating a workgroup with 9 XP Pro & 3 Win98 workstations, I found I received the same error when I tried to print from the 98 machines through 2 different XP machines with shared printers. I tried everything. Finally I read this post and reinstalled the printers on the XP machines. It :whistling: fixed the problem! Don't know why but it did. Thanks