Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

30Gb of files missing on Ext HD

• Please log in to reply

musiclover1024

musiclover1024

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All,

I have a western digital external hard drive and i had placed (accidentally) about 30Gb of files (about 7 or so .rar files of 4gb each) inside the hidden "Autorun" folder. I think it was that folder, either that or some other hidden system folder. A few days later, I rebooted my computer and it did some physical disk check and told me there were errors on the drive, do i wnat to fix these errors. I, not thinking properly, hit yes. Now, these files are missing from my external hard drive. But when i right click the drive letter from my computer and i look at the space used and free space....these 30gb of files are included in that calculation. But when i select all the files and do a right click->properties....it shows 30gb less of free space. Can someone help me recover these files? Thank you so very much in advance. I will greatly appreciate any help you could offer. I look forward to your early responses :whistling:

Thank You in Advance,
Musiclover1024

Advertisements

musiclover1024

musiclover1024

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Does anyone have any information on this issue at all? perhaps point me to another forum or site that may be able to help? Anything at all would highly be appreciated.

Thanks,
musiclover1024

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there musiclover1024, so sorry for the late reply Geeks To Go Foums are very bussy.

Here is a program that can recover your .rar files. Its time consuming but its worth it if there was inportant data in those files:

Recover My Files Data Recovery 3.94

When you have installed the program you can specify what type of file you are looking for, this will cut down on a lot of wasted time. All you got to do is select the .rar file type and continue on with the search.

This method cannot be garaunteed because the file may be damaged or unrecoverable. But its worth a try. Let me know how things go and if you solved your problem.

Cool :whistling:

musiclover1024

musiclover1024

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I ran the program and it made me remember where i had dropped the files. I accidentally put them in the "System volume information" folder. But this folder no longer exists. The auto recovery progrma had the folder, but it didn't have the contents of my files. Here is the sequence of events: 1) i accidentally place 30gb of rar files...about 7 at 4gb each...in the system volume information folder of my external hard drive. 2). I format my computer and reinstall windows. The external hard drive is not a part of this format. 3). Windows says there are errors on my external hard drive and i say go ahead and fix them. The system volume information folder is no longer there. But...when you look at the used space on the drive...it doesn't match the number if u select all the files on the drive and look at the size. its off by about 30gb...exaclty how much i'm missing. Hope this information helps.

Thanks,
musiclover1024

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
"System volume information" folder should only be seen if you Uncheck the box in Tools / Folder Options / View Tab

See if this has a check or not next to it "Hide Protected Operating System files (Recommeded)"

Why you were able to see it before I don't know because it should have the check next to it at all times so you dont have an accident like this......

When you did the reformat on your C: it put it back to stock folder settings, so the box is probably checked and you cant see it in the external anymore.

Uncheck it answer yes ,then look for the files you are missing.Make sure you put the check back next to it when done so you don't have a boo boo again.

Another thing is it might have sent it to a file called "Recycler" when it did the fix if the system deleted them.That can only be seen if the box is unchecked also.

Edited by TakeBK, 01 April 2006 - 05:42 PM.