Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Setup Issues

• Please log in to reply

redtangent

redtangent

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am trying to load WinXP onto my computer but when I get to the copy files part the a message pops up saying it was unable to copy a file. It is alway a different file, I have tried two XP discs and 4 different CDROM drives. Both HDs are new, the MB is new, the power supply is only about a year old, the video card is new, the memory is new and CPU is older about a year. I've had no luck with any combonation of HDs, CDROMS and memory. I even tried an old 512 stick of memory. A friend thinks the CPU is bad as I've replace most of the other components but I'm thinking this is a different problem. I had to replace the MB because my old Intel one has corrupted BIOS. Now it starts but I can't load any OS on it.

Any help would be great.

Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Pro MB
P4 530 3.0GHz
2 GB Geil DDR2533 (2 1GB sticks)
XFX Nvidia 6800GS
2 80BG HD
Mad Dog 400w Power supply

Advertisements

loadsafuniam

loadsafuniam

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have had this problem several times, usually due to the CDRom drive being on its way out. This probably isnt the best solution, its just a quick fix that worked for me. I did it using 2 XP disks, when the 1st disk showed the "unable to copy" dialogue, i simply swapped it for the other XP disk and retried. took alot of swapping and changing, but it did actually work.

If you dont want to do this, id suggest to try changing your CDRom drive.

redtangent

redtangent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Turns out the problem was actually with plugging in a USB header into the MB from the case. I read an obscure reference to their being a link to that and a problem with IDEs on the Gigabyte website. I unplugged it and the install worked just fine. Now of course I'm having issues with the memory, but i'm working on that...