Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Contacts Access to Multiple Users in XP

• Please log in to reply

skujins

skujins

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello Geeks-

My wife and I have separate accounts in XP but we would like to use the same contacts list in outlook. Right now, my contacts list has all our contacts and hers has nothing.

I would like to have out contacts list (a PST file I think) located in a neutral location for easy backup and I would like us both to access this contact list from outlook from both of our XP accounts.

I am sure that there is a simple solution to this but I cannot figure it out (and I have spent may hours trying).

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
unfortunately because your using outlook express it handles the contact differently. however you can do an export of the contact list and then import it under her profile and it should sync the contact list.

skujins

skujins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello-

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2002 SP3. I am not sure what Outlook express is. Does this make a difference? If the answer is the same as before, how do you export, inport, and sync contact lists?

Rome

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
if you are using outlook 2002 do you know what email you are setup to use? Exchange, pop3, imap as examples....

skujins

skujins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Actually, we do not use outlook for our e-mail. We have an DSL line and an e-mail account with Yahoo. But you are making me think of something:

1) Can we configure our computer to use outlook 2002 as our e-mail program in lieu of the standard Yahoo setup? I use outlook at work and it would be nice to use it at home. I remember trying to use outlook back when we had AoL and I couldn't get it to work so I didn't even try when we switched to Yahoo DSL.

2) Regardless of the answer to #1 above, we have been using outlook as the familty address book and would like to access it from both of our accounts regardless of where our e-mail is viewed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rome

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
yes, you can use outlook to check and send yahoo email. Just go to yahoo, look under mail options. It has the instructions for doing so (pop mail).

as to outlook. what you will need to do is to setup the acounnts and point to a common pst file. this means that everyone will share the email as well as address book. if you don't want to share that much then you can click on contacts and export as a file (csv). after exported then you can import under the other account and it should go well for you.

If you get stuck on a step just let me know.

skujins

skujins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
StarJax-

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction to get outlook set up as my e-mail program.

How do I get our 2 XP accounts to point to a common PST file as you mentioned in your last reply? Right now we want to share the same stuff. I am normally pretty computer savvy, but I am having a hard time getting my wife's account to see my e-mail and contacts. In other words, I need pretty detailed instructions for this.

Thanks in advance...

Rome

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
im running outlook 2003, so the info might be on a different tag for you, but its pretty much the same info your looking for.

first off your pst if probably in the default path... c:\documents and settins\yourid\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook.

if you dont see local settings you will need to go to the explorer window, tools, folder options, view, then show all files and folders should be checked.

in outlook go to tools, options. mail setup, data folders. here is where you specify your pst files. just add and point to the pst you want to use. you will need to remove the existing one if one is listed already.

that should do it. check to see if both accounts can see the same info.