Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EXTREME startup problems

• Please log in to reply

fathead161

fathead161

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
hey,

my bro's computer is shot and needs help fast. For some reason he turned on his comp today and it went to a screen that says this:

"windows could not start becuase the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

you can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

He says that this has happened to him once before and he had to bring it in and get the drive re-formatted, causing him to lose all his data.

is there any way to get around the re-formatting of the drive?

thanks,
cal

p.s. he found a re-installation disk of windows xp service patch 1.0a, should he do anything with it?

Edited by fathead161, 24 March 2006 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi fathead161...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Wait is it okay, if i'm asked to use the WIndows CD , that i use the one my mom has. She had it but on the disk it says its only for use in dell. But i have emachines. WIll it still be okay? Or will i have to buy the cd.. Maybe i won't be asked for the cd...here i'll update on you when i'm done.

EDIT: yea, i need to use a windows cd to start it up the repair thing, but it says its only for dell computer, but it seems to be working. Before i continue i wanna ask if its okay. But it seems to be workin...

Edited by fathead161, 24 March 2006 - 07:51 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Repair feature may not be available on the Dell Recovery CD. If that turns out to be the case, post back and we'll see about trying something else.

Just make sure that it is the Repair that is running, not the Dell recovery operation.

Edited by wannabe1, 24 March 2006 - 07:55 PM.

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ok, after loading hte CD, on the screen that shows previous instalations of Windows, it shows up, and gives me the option to repair it. SHall i continue?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...go ahead and let the repair run. :whistling:

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright its on a screen that describes Windows. Like "GET up and running with the latest updates... and how its sleek and stuff"

And it has a slight menu thing on the left, and at the bottom it says setup will complete in approximatly 39 minutes. If htis works i thank you so much!

BTW: if it starts to work, can you hep me out what ot download first? Like i realy don't know what crucial updates to dl.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sure thing...just let me know when the repair completes.

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright i succesfully recovered my omputer thanks to you!!! thanks so much. All i need now is how to re-register er w/e my computer, if needed, and the neccisary updates.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Job!

Now go to Windows Update and download/install ALL critical updates.

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
alright when i update, it says i need to be validated. Than it says i need to be authorized to be validated. Now, to authorize, it asks me for a cdkey. I checked on the download that shows you your key, (in the "How-to repair Windos XP" guide thing), and it says its invalid. ANy ideas?

EDIT: nvermind i can update without validating windows. But i think i shoul validate it, because i don't think i can use it if i don't after 30 days. Also, maybe the key doesn't work because i used ot Dell Disk?

Edited by fathead161, 24 March 2006 - 09:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When it asks for the key, use the one on the back or side of your machine. The one you just ran the repair on. Did it ask for a key when you did the repair?

Edited by wannabe1, 24 March 2006 - 09:36 PM.

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
It works. I love you Geeks to go. Whenever my comp's down, you fix it. THanks so much, cya l8er (notice i said l8er, probably very soon).

ONe last question... Will 'windows automatic update' install Service pack 2 eventually? Or do i have to dl that myself.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, you will eventually get the SP2. Make sure your antivirus is operating and up to date and it wouldn't hurt to put a firewall on the machine at least until you have installed SP2.

Glad we could help you out! :whistling:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 March 2006 - 09:55 PM.