Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win2003 and XP and shared file with a permission to one user

• Please log in to reply

zillah

zillah

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have got two PCs win2003 and XP,,,,,PCA and PCB (both PCs on my LAN through my linksys router WAG54G V2).

I created a folder on PCA (win2003), called "My Stuff",,,I created many users on PCA (employees, jsmith, test1, test2), I enabled sharing for the folder "My Stuff", and I gave permission (read only) to the username "employees" only, I deleted the username "Everyone" which is by default there.

1- From PCB (XP) , I opened run, then I typed in : \\192.168.1.64-----for win2003

2- Screen poped up (first time), I typed in the username:jsmith (not employees), the password:newsletter.

3- I was able to see "My Stuff", since it is shared folder, but I could not access, since jsmith has not been given permission to access it (only username "employees" has been given permission to access it ).

4- After that (second time, third time,,,etc), when I try to type in: \\192.168.1.64, I will be forwarded to a window with "My Stuff" folder (PCB still remember the previous session for username "jsmith"), I was not able to type in the username: test1, password: forum (because I have not greeted with a pop up screen!!!!),,,,,,,,,,What should I configure to let the (PCB) provides me with the pop screen for the new username (employees) ?

5- When I tried to type in : \\192.168.1.64\My Stuff (when I typed in only \\192.168.1.64 no erro message),,,,,,I received this error message :

\196.230.165.135\My Stuff is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resources. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.

Advertisements

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I tried at work to redo the same scenario again with two PCs , my laptop (2003) and IBM Desktop (2003, not XP) (no domain they are stand alone PCs,,,they are on the same LAN with public ip addresses).

from the Laptop I tried to access the Desktop , I received this erro message:
no network provider accepted the given network path