Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing a graphics card

• Please log in to reply

thefunnymanfrommars

thefunnymanfrommars

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a fairly old motherboard with an integrated graphics card, intel 845gl, it has no agp slot and no PCIe slot, the only way i can install a new graphics card is by using one of my PCI slots. What kind of graphics card would be good for a board like this. BTW my mobo's model number is ASUS P4BGL-MX.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One like this is about the best you can do with a PCI slot card.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150040

SRX660

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
That limits you alot you could upgrade your motherboard with an AGP port or upgrade the processor and get a PCIe port as the GFX cards are faster in PCIe.

09mlb86

09mlb86

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
witch is tru however what i have found the ATI cards do beter with shadeing but hey what ever u want speed or qualty pics, videos and games

Edited by 09mlb86, 27 March 2006 - 03:44 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
The first upgrade I made was from integrated graphics (ew) to a brand new $76 ATI RADEON 9600 SE and that's worked well for me up till now, so that'd be your best bet if your looking for a cheap but decent upgrade. :whistling:

hayzee

hayzee

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I have a fairly old motherboard with an integrated graphics card, intel 845gl, it has no agp slot and no PCIe slot, the only way i can install a new graphics card is by using one of my PCI slots. What kind of graphics card would be good for a board like this. BTW my mobo's model number is ASUS P4BGL-MX.

I'm in a similar situation. I don't know what my mobo's # is, but I know that I only have PCI slots, no AGP or PCIe. Aside from the geforce fx series, is there any higher card I can buy that will work with PCI slots (6xxx series or whatnot)? And if not, is the fx5500 a 'worthy' card? Also, what type of other things should I consider when buying a video card (any other pc requirements or whatnot)....where can I buy one?

I know I'm being really needy here....but if any can tell me this too I would appreciate it: is there like a big difference between how a fx card runs on a PCI system versus like a APG or PCIe system?

The reason I want to upgrade is so my computer can run the recently released Oblivion...I'm not sure if any of these graphics cards will work or not. It seems like the fx5500 has been usable, with some various mods/hacks to the ini file...but those who've had it work don't seem to be using PCI.....
:whistling: