Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ME Start up problem

• Please log in to reply

packerbacker

packerbacker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I reboot my computer or initially turn it on, it starts initialzing then I get this message...." Following File is missing or corrupted: C:\ Windows\IFSHLP.SYS

Underneath that it reads..." Following File is missing or corrupted....C:\ Windows\System\VMM32.VXD

Below that it reads....Type the name of the windows loader (e.g., C:\Windows\System\VMM32.VXD)
C>_

Is there any way I can get this back into working order without losing everything.....Please help....Thanks

Advertisements

Rvan801

Rvan801

• Pip
  • 8 posts
It's funny that you ask, packerbacker. I have had that identical problem for months, and its been my reason for roaming message boards, asking questions to which the answer is never easily given. It's a tricky situation, to say the least, but I will tell you everything I've learned from my own experience with it. First, no matter how you look at it, Windows ME will have to be reinstalled. You see, the VMM32.vxd is a crucial startup file that is used only on the Windows ME platform. Interestingly, it differs from machine to machine, so the only way to replace it is indeed to reinstall Windows. In other words, do not try copying the file from another Windows ME computer; it has been done, but has and probably will never work. Anyway, here is the first site I recommend (text within the quotes is the URL): "http://www.easydesks...ews/news10.htm" At the very least, the site will tell you a little more about your problem. More importantly, it outlines a manual, though tedious, way of fixing the corrupted files. At this point, I must ask you what type of restore/reinstall CDs you even have. For example, since my Windows ME computer was manufactured by Emachines, I have a "Restore CD" that reformats the hard disk, returning it to the way it was when shipped. Obviously, it has been of little help to me in dealing with the problem (since it only fixes the issue by deleting all data), so my hope is you have a different disk. I'll let you start there: let me know what you have in terms of those CDs and try the first website. Also, if you'd like to start recovering you're data, use a Windows ME start-up disk (go to the site "http://www.bootdisk....m/bootdisk.htm" and download one of the ME boot disks on another computer) to then go to the command prompt after starting the afflicted computer up with the disk inserted. From there, use DOS commands such as change directory (cd Windows, cd Desktop, etc) to navigate the hard drive, and then copy the desired files onto a floppy using the copy command. I know I'm giving you a lot of information, but I feel you need all the options you can get. Having been through the same ordeal as you (my computer still isn't even fixed), I have smpathy for you. If you need more help, more background on the situation, or anything else, just ask.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

First, no matter how you look at it, Windows ME will have to be reinstalled. You see, the VMM32.vxd is a crucial startup file that is used only on the Windows ME platform. Interestingly, it differs from machine to machine, so the only way to replace it is indeed to reinstall Windows. In other words, do not try copying the file from another Windows ME computer; it has been done, but has and probably will never work.

VMM32.VXD features on the Windows 4 series - Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME. It's basically a very special file that is totally unique to your computer and is pretty much irreplaceable without reinstalling Windows.

At this point, I must ask you what type of restore/reinstall CDs you even have. For example, since my Windows ME computer was manufactured by Emachines, I have a "Restore CD" that reformats the hard disk, returning it to the way it was when shipped. Obviously, it has been of little help to me in dealing with the problem (since it only fixes the issue by deleting all data), so my hope is you have a different disk.

Since computer makers started distributing systems without the original Windows CDs, you'll probably find that the Windows files required to install Windows again are already on the hard drive. Usually find them in the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder. You can run this from a DOS prompt:

Download an ME bootdisk from http://www.bootdisk.co and restart your computer so it loads off the floppy disk.
Type this:
C:
cd windows\options\cabs
setup

This will, in 99% of cases reinstall Windows with no further complications. Just follow the on-screen instructions. if it asks for a product key, use the one stuck on the side of the case or on the front/back of your Windows manual.