Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media

• Please log in to reply

Matthauz

Matthauz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My new pc arrived sans an optical drive and operating system. I popped a DVDRW into IDE1, my hardrive is connected to SATA1. upon turning the pc on I get.....

"Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

Primary boot device is set to the DVDRW drive, DVDRW is Primary Master.

Will not boot from CD and let me install windows. However popping my motherboard CD in lets it boot from cd and it wants me to make a boot disk?!

However I do not have a floppy drive.

Why wont it JUST boot from the Windows XP CD, I didn't have this problem with my old pc, I just popped the CD in straight away and it let me install!!!

Please help!

System is:

ASUS® A8R-MVP: DUAL DDR, S-ATA, 2 x x16 VGA, 3 PCI Motherboard

SATA II 160 GB HARD DISK

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Sry in advance if this isnt helpful

Did you follow your manual and try to set the rigtht bios setting wrong Bios could be the problem also try resetting your Bios so you have a fresh Bios to work from and try it then.

Matthauz

Matthauz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Sry in advance if this isnt helpful

Did you follow your manual and try to set the rigtht bios setting wrong Bios could be the problem also try resetting your Bios so you have a fresh Bios to work from and try it then.

Bios were all set up by company i bought the system from, dont worry ill be giving them a call monday tho.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This sounds like you have a dvd-rw and a cdrom drive. The bios always looks to the primary drive to boot from. Since dvd-rw's can also read CD's , have you tried putting the XP cd in the dvd-rw and see if it will start installing? You may also have to load drivers for the sata drive for windows to see it to install.

SRX660