Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please help me

• Please log in to reply

faygo_king

faygo_king

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok here is my problem im very poor i cant afford a new computer but i need more space please dont laough here is what i got a 8 gig hd 384 mb ram its a 447mhz pentium 2 i need another hard drive can anyone give me some suggestion i know very little about computers so please help me

Advertisements

senshisteph

senshisteph

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi, I had a similar problem - I have a 650MHz pIII, 64Mb RAM and an 18GB HDD (and a chronic addiction to downloading music LOL). It's a laptop and I couldn't afford a new laptop HDD as they start at around 80GBP for 20GB, which isn't much improvement, and would have been a real hassle as I don't have any way to transfer the files over.

If you have room for it in your case you can easily install a second HD - you may need a new cable that will connect 2 drives if the cable you have now only has one connector. You can get a second-hand HD from a computer spares shop pretty cheaply - in my local branch of Computer Exchanges a 20GB HD (second-hand) costs 15-30GBP depending on brand and condition - or you might get a bargain on ebay ;) If you have a little extra cash you could either get a bigger HD or some more RAM (depends on type but some types are pocket-money prices these days)

Alternatively you could do what I did and get an external HD caddy (my brother had an old 13GB internal HD going begging and I needed one to put it in :tazz: ) - mine cost 20GBP from the market but again you might get one even cheaper second-hand or from ebay. This connects via USB and is ridiculously easy to set up. It also works out a bit cheaper than a complete external drive. And if you do get a new PC in future you can just transfer the whole thing over by plugging it in and running the installer.

Either way, you need to remove the jumper clip from the new drive so it is recognised as a slave drive. Connect it up either in your case or the external caddy, and reboot. If you went for an external drive run the installation disk that came with it. Hopefully your PC will now see the new drive. Use Start=>Programs=>Accessories=>System tools=>Disk management to format the new disk. Mine had some weird partitions on it (they totalled more than the size of the disk) but it is easy to remove these in Disk Management.
And hopefully by now you should be ready to go!