Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB can see ext hard drive however...

• Please log in to reply

jsun75

jsun75

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, Dsenette and a few others were incredible advisors with a upgrade issue I had I hope that y'all can help me with a new problem...

I recently purchased a IOMEGA 250gb usb/firewire ext hard drive. It was working on both my tower and my laptop. Now it is not. Specifically, The drive is being recognized by the tower, however, it is seens as an empty drive. (there is currently 20gb of family photo, mp3, and other various files, the most important of which is several papers my wife needs for school. I am in for it if I cannot recover those files). The laptop only recognizes that there is a USB Mass Storage device that I may or may not safely remove.

There are now issues with the USB ports on either system according to the Device Manager. Other peripherals are connecting fine; the mouse, a camera, the keyboard, etc.

The external does come with a software cd, however, after exploration, I can only find things like applications for File sharing and auto back-up apps. Now drivers for the external itself.

I, also have gone to IOMEGA's tech support site. Utterly useless. They suggested safely removeing and re-connecting the external to each individual usb port after a restart (6 on the tower and 4 on the laptop). 30 minutes later the tower will recognize and assign a drive letter to the external but still will not give access to the drive. Says it is empty. And with the laptop, it is like I said ealier, it will only tell me that there is a USB mass storage device to be removed. The laptop will not even assign a drive letter.

I hope y'all can think of something that will help me.

Thank you in advance,
-J-

Advertisements

jsun75

jsun75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK
A further update. Found the external via the Disk Management window. Somehow or another, the drive has "lost" it's format. I havbe a heard a rumor that I amy still be able to recover the infromation on the drive.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?