Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Runtime Error with Corel

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hey, I've had Corel Photo Album 6 on this computer ever since I got it, and I've just started to get into it now. When trying to find an update online, I downloaded (what I thought was) the deluxe version. It turned out that it was just the same free trial version that I already have, so I just deleted it from my computer, and let the downloaded version install itself.

So, I went into the program to re-orginize all of my pictures, and apon starting, I got a message saying:

"Restore of the database of folder and photo information from
the specified backup folder failed.

A new (empty) database will be created for you."

I clicked OK, and did the search for all the photos on my computer. I then simply clicked on the "My Pictures" directory on the left-hand side of the screen, and recieved this error message regarding Visual C++:

"Runtime Error!

Program: ...rogram Files\Corel\Corel Photo Album 6\Photo Album 6.exe

abnormal program termination"

So I click OK here, and then after a few seconds, then the entire program shuts down.

So I figured it was the downloaded version, and I uninstalled it, and found the installation file for the original Corel trial that came with the computer, and installed it again, but the same thing is happening. What should I do?

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Can you go back in system restore when everything was working well?

See HERE

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Ok I did the system restore, and the program went back to the way it was. Only now there is another problem.

With the Corel free trial, there are pop-ups when you start the program, and when you exit the program, letting you know how many days your trial has left, and how you can buy the program or extend your trial. Now, these windows all pop up with the "Cannot find server" page, and I can only X out of them. My internet is working fine, and I was connected to the internet at the time.

I was hoping for these windows to work, because I was interested in buying this product. Any ideas what may be causing this?

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
If you want to buy the product, I would just go to the site and purchase it and they should go away. There is probably some options you can disable somewhere in the program to make those pop-ups go away. Do they appear when you boot up the computer or when you open the program?

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Yea I figure I'll just do that anyway. The pop-ups only show up when you start the program, and when you exit from the program. They aren't a bother to me otherwise.