Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my processor

• Please log in to reply

jsun75

jsun75

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
2800 amd Proc
K8T NEO - FSR
762 MBs of ram
and a (*cough, cough radeon 9600 w/256 of Ram

The question.

I was told that I can upgrade my proc on this MOBO. Is that true? If so, up to what? And should I be aware of any problems I may encounter trying this?

-J-

Advertisements

cph89

cph89

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
That Motherboard should be able to support AMD 3200+, 3400+ and 3700+ processors without a problem so there shouldn't be any problems upgrading what were you trying to upgrade to?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
you can find out by checking the socket and see if it the same then its'll work for sure.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Yeah check the sockets first

jsun75

jsun75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

That Motherboard should be able to support AMD 3200+, 3400+ and 3700+ processors without a problem so there shouldn't be any problems upgrading what were you trying to upgrade to?

Thank you for responding,

I did check the MSI site on the motherboard, but I wasn't sure if it was current info.

I was trying to see how how high I could go, then work that against my budget.

Thanks again CPH 89!

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

you can find out by checking the socket and see if it the same then its'll work for sure.

No, thats not true. I have an older computer with an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, as it wont go above 2400+ on this motherboard. Just because it has the socket, doesn't mean it can use anything. And, you cannot go above an Athlon XP 3200+ in the 32bit version, and I believe the 64bit Athlons stop at 4800+. If you have a 2800+ (which seems sufficient to me) you could upgrade to a 3200+, if the mobo allows, it should say in the manual.

BTW, you said you have an ATi Radeon 9600, what is wrong with that?! I have the ATi Radeon 9800XT, and I can run all new games on highest. Though I am using omega drivers, which you could use (www.omegadrivers.net).

jsun75

jsun75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

No, thats not true. I have an older computer with an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, as it wont go above 2400+ on this motherboard. Just because it has the socket, doesn't mean it can use anything. And, you cannot go above an Athlon XP 3200+ in the 32bit version, and I believe the 64bit Athlons stop at 4800+. If you have a 2800+ (which seems sufficient to me) you could upgrade to a 3200+, if the mobo allows, it should say in the manual.

I have the msi k8t neo fsr. it sports the 64 bit feature. So I can go as high as the +4800? Hmmm... Guess I need to start shopping around. What would y'all recommend for the 150 - 200 dollar range?

-J-