Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install of DVD burner

• Please log in to reply

JAW

JAW

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi-
I would not consider myself a beginner at computers- I once built one- (however I burned a hole in the motherboard... :whistling: ) anyway-- I want to install a DVD burner in my Dell 8200. I have the extra bay-- and I know which DVD Burner I want to get- how do i know that I have all the right INSIDES in my computer to install.... the burner will come with the cables and all i need to do is hook them up- to somewhere- right? Or do you actually get NO cables sometimes..

Thanks

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well sometimes they do not give you the cables that you need but that shouldnt be a problem i am guessing that you have already 1 cd drive installed in the computer so

to install your new DVD drive
1) remove the cover plate on the front of the tower
2) open up the case
3) find an available molex connector ( 4 pin usually white in colour )
4) find the ribbon cable that connects to your cd drive it should have an available plug about 1 third of the way down the ribbon cable
5) look at the back of the drive it should have some details printed on it, it should tell you to place a jumper over 2 pins or maybe even remove the jumper ( all srives are different it might even be in the manual )
6) plug in the ribbon cable and the power (molex) connector and screw the drive into place
power up!

it should auto detect if you are running xp and it will show up in my computer

goodluck
troppo

JAW

JAW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks
Do you think there is anything specific I need to look for because I have a dell- or will mostly anything fit as long as I have the memory and processor speed?
I actually have a cd/r combo drive- so I have two units- this would be the third bay.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
it should fit and should work but setting the jumpers is very important both your drives wont work if they are set as masters,

so you are saying that you have two other drives installed already
a dc drive and a DVD combo drive?

just make sure that you have an available power connector and a free spot on the ribbon cable

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Here this should help you http://www.nukemz-de.../BYOPC_book.pdf
My own paid copy exclusive to Geeks To Go

Btw why would you need 3 drives for? 1 to watch movies 1 for a game 1 to burn disc or all 3 to burn at same time?

Edited by FuM, 25 March 2006 - 08:15 PM.

JAW

JAW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have two CD R burners- no DVD burner-
My system came with the two CD-r/DVD combo drives.. but I need a DVD burner for this project I am doing.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
really you could do away with both of your other drives the DVD burner will do the same if not better than both of your cd drives

or just keep 1 and replace it with the DVD burner
3 drives is a bit much i hope you have a decent wattage power supply not that this is to important but 3 drives operating at once is a bit much

Edited by troppo, 26 March 2006 - 04:18 AM.

JAW

JAW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
i really dont see all 3 operating at once- is that still an issue-

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well if your not going to run them all at once there is no need to have 2 cd burners and i DVD burner that will burn CD's as well really you would see better performance from the DVD burner alone but sure you can keep 1 CD burner remove the other one and install the DVD burner in its place

really there is no need for 3 burners and i doubt that you would use all 3 at once wheather or not thats burning and/or reading

really just replace 1 CD burner with the DVD burner

JAW

JAW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for your help- I am just a little nervous about replacing something that CAME with the PC- hence the reason for the questions. I will order my dvd burner- thanks!

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well the only reason in my opinion to worry about changing something that came with the pc would be if it is still under warrenty.
cause if you have modified any part of the system that is not carried out by a quailfied technician would void your warrenty nut changing a drive really wouldnt "harm" the computer in any way unless i dunno you buggered up the pins on your new DVD drive or say u slipped and knocked something off with ur screw driver lol,
but apart from that it should be fine
goodluck and i hope u have no problems
troppo