Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting up problem

• Please log in to reply

Gusman

Gusman

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am using an HP laptop, using Windows XP Professional. In the last few days, my computer takes forever to start-up. It takes anything between 10 minutes and 15 minutes from the time I turn on the computer to the time I log into Windows. After that I have to wait another 3-5 minutes for Windows to start-up.

The laptop is less than 12 months old and has been running smoothly until now. I have started to experience screen freezing as well.

What could be the problem?

Edited by Gusman, 25 March 2006 - 09:07 PM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Gusman.

There can be many reasons why this is happening. But lets try and eliminate some of them.

What programs have you installed recently??? Do you have a Anti-Virus???

Cool :whistling:

sl8a

sl8a

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Step 1: Clear The Start-up folder.

The startup folder is the folder that will launch any programs or shortcuts when the computer starts up. The fewer programs that you have starting up when you power on the computer the faster the computer will boot. Keep in mind that some programs need to run when windows starts up so it may be best to backup this folder before you start.

The folder can be found by going to: C:Documents and SettingsusernameStart MenuProgramsStartup, where username is your Windows logon name. You can also clear out the start-up items by going to Start > Programs > Startup, then right-clicking items you want to remove.

Step 2: Clearing out the startup in the system configuration utility

The System Configuration Utility also known as MSConfig is a helpful tool that will help you troubleshoot your Windows system. This tool lets you modify a lot of your system preferences but it also allows you to disable programs that startup in the background of Windows. Note: Be careful with this tool as you can make Windows run improperly.

How to start msconfig
Click on the Start button.
Select Run from the menu.
In the run dialog box type “msconfig”.
Click OK.

Once in the msconfig utility select the startup tab. In the startup tab you will see several programs listed with a checkbox beside it. If there is a check mark beside the application listed, the application will startup when your computer starts up. To speed up your computer you want to remove as many check marks from this box without affecting the programs that you use. Once you have removed the checkmarks you wish to remove, click on OK and restart the computer when prompted. It is recommended to uncheck a couple at a time so you will know what is causing a problem if one occurs.