Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random exiting

• Please log in to reply

Noiros

Noiros

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok so im running win xp home on a P4 3Ghz with 512 MB ram.

the comp crashed and i had to reformat the 2 80gig HDs. when i reinstalled windows some programs just randmly crash. eg. Warcraft 3, for some skirmish matches it crashes while others work.

after a while the crash thing happened again which meant i couldnt use windows. so instead of reformatting (had some docs i wanted) i reinstalled windows on the other HD.

I still get the random crashing problems with the new install of windows.

2 questions:

1. how can i get rid of the crap windows?

2. how do i fix the crashing problem... could it be a hardware issue? the PS?

Cheers

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Why did you have to reformat two hard drives because the computer crashed? Why did it crash? Did you reinstall the programs after you reinstalled Windows? You said "after a while the crash thing happened again which meant i couldnt use windows" What is "that crash thing"? A blue screen? A freeze? An error message?

Johanna

Noiros

Noiros

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, i had to reformat both drives because i couldnt get access to either of them in dos mode. i reformatted and made new partitions and everything. actually i think i used instructions on how to do this from this site.

anyway, yes i reinstalled some programs after reinstalling.

the 'crash thing' is when your in a program and all of a sudden you are back at the desktop with a window with an error that says something like:

'error xxxx, and something that looks like a memory address'

eventually, the operating system just wouldnt work anymore as well which is why i reinstalled it on a different drive (windows wouldnt let me repair or reinstall over the old one, i got a blue screen crash at the reboot setup stage)

thanks for the help, it really is very much appreciated,

Noiros

>Why did you have to reformat two hard drives because the computer crashed? Why did it crash? Did you reinstall the programs after you reinstalled Windows? You said "after a while the crash thing happened again which meant i couldnt use windows" What is "that crash thing"? A blue screen? A freeze? An error message?

Johanna