Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Rvan801

Rvan801

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've recently decided to upgrade a computer whose Windows ME operating system is dysfunctional to Windows XP, as a way of "solving" the problem. My question is, does upgrading preserve files, or am I obligated to reformat? Also, since this computer is several years old, and was made to support Windows ME, might there be any technical limitations that would prevent XP from working once installed? Finally, whereas MS-DOS is currently accessible on the Windows ME computer (by using a boot disk) even in its current state, would that be the case if I went through the XP installation, and something went wrong (which raises another question: what could go wrong?)? I thank anyone in advance who can answer one or more of these questions.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Errors with the existing OS can carry over when doing an upgrade, you may want to consider backing up the data you need then using an OEM XP CD to do a clean install

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I've recently decided to upgrade a computer whose Windows ME operating system is dysfunctional to Windows XP, as a way of "solving" the problem. My question is, does upgrading preserve files, or am I obligated to reformat? Also, since this computer is several years old, and was made to support Windows ME, might there be any technical limitations that would prevent XP from working once installed? Finally, whereas MS-DOS is currently accessible on the Windows ME computer (by using a boot disk) even in its current state, would that be the case if I went through the XP installation, and something went wrong (which raises another question: what could go wrong?)? I thank anyone in advance who can answer one or more of these questions.

1) How old is "several years"? The older the computer the less likely it is that it'll like XP. It often works out cheaper to buy a new system than bring an old one up to a spec decent enough to run XP.

2) General rule of thumb is to reformat. An upgrade will preserve the files and settings but if your current Windows has issues, they'll continue to be issues with XP.

3) MS-DOS - there is no native DOS support in XP. There's the command prompt but that's not pure DOS. You can still boot off a floppy disk drive BUT it won't be able to read the hard drive, thus making the idea of booting off a floppy a fairly pointless exercise.

4) What can go wrong - anything and everything. XP has the ability to repair itself which you can get to by booting off the XP CD and there is a recovery console as well. It depends what goes wrong as to what you can do about it - how long is a piece of string?