Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Windows Media Player Error

• Please log in to reply

Instant

Instant

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Today when I was trying to open Windows Media Player, it displayed the message : "An internal application error has occured." I didn't have any ideas on how it became broken, so I just went to the website and downloaded a new copy of WMP 10. It installed perfectly, asked me about the settings, and then when it tried to open, it displayed the same error: "An internal application error has occured." Can anyone help? This was very sudden, as it hasn't happened before at all.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use add / remove, you need a tick in show updates, uninstall MP 10, this should roll back to WMP9 to see if you get the same

tiffin

tiffin

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok i have this same error but when i cant even get into my add/remove programs its all blank when i go into that but i get that internal error thing for windows media player

Instant

Instant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I rolled back to WMP 9...still no luck.

This might be the problem, but I'm not really sure: I recently installed Visual C++ Express along with other stuff like the SQL Server. The VC++ didn't work, so I uninstalled it, including everything in the programs list with the name "SQL" in it. Could this be a problem? Did I uninstall the wrong things?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's possible

Windows Media Rights Manager system requirements
The following hardware and software is required to use Microsoft® Windows Media™ Rights Manager: • A computer with Pentium-class or higher processor
• 5 megabytes (MB) of available hard-disk space
• Windows NT Server version 4.0 with Service Pack 4
• Windows NT version 4.0 Option Pack with ServicePack 1
• Internet Explorer 5 (preferred) or Internet Explorer 4.01 with Service Pack 1
Microsoft® SQL Server 7.0
• Windows Media Tools 4.0 Note: If you installed the beta version of Windows Media Tools, you must upgrade to the released version.
• Windows Media Player 6.2 or later
For more information about the system requirements for Windows Media Rights Manager, see the following Microsoft Web site:

Try this

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 SP1 contains core Data Access components such as the Microsoft SQL Server™ OLE DB provider and ODBC driver.

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Instant

Instant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I'll be downloading that right away on my dial-up. Thank you very much, I'll reply in about 15 minutes (according to the Microsoft download estimation time). Hope it works!

Instant

Instant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Sigh...I think I got the wrong version. When I opened the file, it read: "Fatal Setup Error - This setup does not support installing on this operating system."

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I chose that one because it says it installs the same version as XP SP2

This specifically says for XP

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

You could try this first as you are on dial up

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD then you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data