Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook running slow

• Please log in to reply

Age B

Age B

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Guys,

My notebook has recently started to lose it high end speed as it now takes double the time to firstly boot up,
to open Outlook Express or Internet Explorer and open any programs or applications.

I have cleared up my hard drive which now stands with over 20gb of free space as well conduct a Webroot Spy Sweeper scan but these methods have not helped nor improved my notebooks performance.

I also recently installed Norton System Works 2005 Premier yet I wasnt so sure if this is what has caused the sudden reduction of my notebooks performance ?

Any help, assistance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Adrian

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Age B

Age B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your prompt and precise reply.

The Tune Up 2006 program worked wonders and I have noticed an increase in performance on my notebook. The boot up of the notebook still lags and grinds but it has slightly improved.

My only outstanding issue now is Outlook Express.
All of the sudden it now takes at least 5-7 minutes for it to open up and to gain access into the inbox and use Outlook's functionality.
Outlook pretty much hangs like it's not responding.
I end up losing the Outlook icon within the top of the page.

Are you able to shed any light on this subject?

Cheers,

Adrian

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Age B

Age B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Keith,

This is the following error received when try to run chkdsk /f /r :-

The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Type Y then press enter and reboot, it will then either show you what it is doing or the monitor stays off, it will take ages, so only run this when you do not need the PC

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, as you mentioned outlook express, I just wondered if you would be better off looking at your mails on the server site, I don't know who your server is but for example I am with yahoo so instead of clicking outlook, I go onto yohoo, click the "mail" entry, and it shows me what mails it has, and this system works for most servers. Why/becasue, if you allow the mails to each download into your computer which is what Outlook Express does, it takes bags of time and runs the risk of it going wrong, corupted file attatched, spam, even malware, so see your mails on the server and then if it is really important, click Outlook to receive those one or two loveletters or photos of the family stuff, etc.. Also, depending on your server you write the mails from server too, and well I am not sure about the other servers, yahoo can store your mail addresses on site so you can be anyway and not worry about where you stored those mail addresses.

Sin.,
fleamailman

Edited by fleamailman, 01 April 2006 - 03:27 AM.

Age B

Age B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have run the all scans and the notebook seems a little better however I am still having the problem with Outlook Express?

Only recently I have started to experience this issue. Prior to this my emails through Outlook were working and operating 100%

I received the Microsoft error report suggesting I may have malware or spyware.

Here is the Outlook Express error report contents:

Error signature
szAppName : msimn.exe szAppVer : 6.0.2900.2180 szModName : hungapp
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

C:\DOCUME~1\Age\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERff3d.dir00\msimn.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Age\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERff3d.dir00\appcompat.txt

Error report link to Microsoft -
http://oca.microsoft...0b39a2&SID=1892

Can anyone recommend a fix for this ??

Cheers

Edited by Age B, 02 April 2006 - 03:09 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ah, a bug in the temp file then:

press windows botton with r botton
type: %temp%
delete the contents, or if unsure just move to recyclebin to delete later

If unsure of it or me, please see link which is a better way still:
http://www.personal-...ngtempfiles.htm

But the one link shortcut she says in the link does work for me, I get a repeated folder

Edited by fleamailman, 02 April 2006 - 05:49 AM.

Age B

Age B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have removed all my temp files yet it has not resolved my Outlook Express problem.

Can anyone advise any further recommendations as im desperately trying to
get into my inbox quickly and easily.

Cheers

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Have your been to your server's site and seen if there is a big mail blocking your inbox their end, happens often enough. It is just clicking to their site, finding the line "read your mail", logging in, and deleting something that could be clogging things up. This proceedure differs slightly from server to server but it is standard.