Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stupid question number 10000000 then

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK, I have a huge list of run commands that I can launch from the "run" box given by the virious contributors to date but they are all lists from people, which is great and big true, but is there a program that follows the run command for me since imagine most of the stuff that pop up on the screen,( txt, cpl, msc, exe,) can be reached by the "run"command box. Just to clear my madness with you, no this is not to do anything wicked, it is just that after having got used to using the "run" command box, I find it quicker than moving the mouse since if it is typed the first time clearly then I can just press the windows botton and the r botton, followed by the first letter of that place I want to go and just press enter, bingo, far, far, quicker, for web pages, and cpl/msc stuff.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
not sure what you want. could you state it more clearly?

I use these pages for reference:
http://www.microsoft...s.mspx?mfr=true

http://www.fixmyxp.c...ent/view/20/42/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you basically want something that will parse a text file for a specific line then just throw that into the run command....such as

line number 12 in the text file is the command to open internet explorer from the run command.

you want something where all you have to do is put in 12...and it will open that doodad?

you could make a program to do it..but that would defeat the purpose...I'm gonna assume that you posted this before posting your thing about the %% commands...so I'll say you can use the environmental variables to do this....i just made one for a test that opened up adobe acrobat reader by typing %adobe% in the run command...you can set up an environmental variable for any program as long as you have the full path to the exe...then just use the %variablename% in the run box to open it up...

the complexity/simplicity duality of all your posts confounds me....and intrigues me all at the same time...your wonderful dichotomy always keeps me entertained (i want to take the most simple of tasks...and use the most complex method possible to make it even easier)...quite rube-goldbergian.... i commend you for keeping us on our toes hahaha

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks dsenette and starjax for your feedback, first yes this was posted before the other thread, and from what you told me from the other thread it is up to me to create the variable that I wish to lanch from the run box. I myself not knowing how windows worked thought the run box had all the stuff somewhere ready and all I had to do was either find a program that minitors the lines while running windows, or failing that keeping my eye out for lesser known commands such that come under:
.exe, .bat, .cab, .com, .url, .lnk, .hta, .js, .jse, .msc, .cpl, .plf, .scf, .scx, .scr, .shb, .shs, .vbs and .whs,

and then came along %variable% and my car hit a tree so to speak, so that is when dsenette explained it, to which a teacher's hat would fit his monkey well I think so I am looking out for it then.

Starjax, thanks, don't tell me that you hang out there too as this is my original post on that second site about commands but I don't know if one can see it without membership.

http://www.fixmyxp.c...topic.php?t=274

Edited by fleamailman, 27 March 2006 - 01:36 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
dsenette has saved me, so I can either create a shortcut from run command by creating a variable or I can type c: working forward, or I can type \filename working backwards, I suppose another way would be to always have the address bar option open and then when one likes something one could just cut\paste it to the run box, anyway it helps me a lot because instead of having hundreds of shortcuts on my desktop I can just press the windows botton with R botton, and then type the first letter or two, bingo, nice tidy desktop and no mouse movements.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
roflol... sounds like a lot of work. be easier to memerize the commands you want.... :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

roflol... sounds like a lot of work. be easier to memerize the commands you want....

but flea's way is DEFINITELY funner...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I agree with both of you, each to his own then, besides it's great to be able to skin the cat(kat, not to be taken litterally here) in many ways, and sometimes there is an overlooked gem(like the right hand click botton, then w then f or s to create a folder or shortcut) and sometimes onlookers who have never seen it done, think that it must be magic for not using the mouse, honestly my fingers hardly ever leave the keyboard now except when tabbing is too long such as when I wish to press the "add reply" botton below here (thirty something tabs) or when my coffee cup says drink me, dsenette is right about it being fun but it has taken me years here and g2g has been very patient with me I believe