Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vga card fan replacement

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I had previously posted regarding my vga card fan not working. I have another vga card from which I will remove the working fan and replace it with the non-working fan. They both are Nvidia & quite honestly it is not about the fan I'm going to replace it with providing 100% cooling because I have plans to purchase a new card in the next 2 or so months.
Anyway I need help about how to remove the fan from the vga card, Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra made by BFGTech. Here's a link to a pic of it that I had attached in my previous post (I do not know how to attach it again). http://www.geekstogo...pe=post&id=7302
I believe the card is attached by two mounting pins or something of that sort. I cannot manage to remove them & that is the real problem. If anyone knows how to come about this please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
the same questiosn was posted at this topic
http://www.geekstogo...ST&f=9&t=101434

i dont think the cards are the same but its a good general guide
thanks to gerryf,
troppo

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I had previously posted regarding my vga card fan not working.

Yeah actually that is my post as well. The thing is that explanation of removing the fan is not for my fan as my fan has not been epoxied on, it's been grounded to the card by these two pins which I am unable to remove. That is what I need help with. His explanation quite honestly will not work with my vga card cause I still would have to remove these pins first. Though it was a very neat explanation I must say.

Thanks

Edited by manu08, 27 March 2006 - 04:09 AM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
oh you are right so sorry about that duh should have clicked on your link sorry once again look to tell you the truth im not to sure how to remove the fan but im sure some pics would help
could you take some photos of these pins that you are talking about?

sorry for my stupidity
troppo

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
card_off_tn.jpg is this your card,

the heatsink and fan can come of as demonstrated in the pic so it can be done how is a different matter.

these pins you are talking about? are they pins that lookl ike they snap through the board as in are they kinda like this

/ \
/ \
! !
! !
upside down sorry it was a bit hard to draw with using symbols but they look like they are oly one way pins that dont looklike they come out?
cause it hink that you can squeeze them with pliers and try to wiggle them out one at a time
maybe

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yes that is absolutely correct. However if I squeeze them with pliers will they be re-usable after the change of the fan ? What do you reckon ?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yes it should be fine squeeze them with pliers and try to gimmy them out as gently as you can

once they are out they should snap back into the board with no problems just simply push them back into place

but remember that when you replace the fan MAKE sure that you replace the thermal compund and get as much of the old stuff off as you can.

the reason i say that it will come of is because its like a pentium 4 fan they are held on by the same sort of pins and they come off and go back on with little problems so i hope its the same with ur vid card
goodluck post back if you get it of
and can get it back on
troppo

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yeah I've been trying for quite some time to remove the pins & well gotten nowhere to be honest. I was thinking there would be absolutely no point even purchasing another fan for the vga card since I cannot remove this one. Vga card fans are sold just as another accessory of the computer, there has to be an easier more convenient way of removing these fans.
I was planning to try out tom's hardware but I don't really know how to use that site & couldn't get myself to work around it.
Any help would be awesome.
Thanks