Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HKLM key denys access to install Windows SP2

• Please log in to reply

lewie

lewie

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Any help would be appreciated. I am frantically searching MS knowledge base and have walked through steps to correct registry key that is denying access as I try to install SP2. But, registry key doesn't seem to exist.

Here's the sad tale so far: Malware infection. Cleaned system. Problems persisted. Reinstalled Windows WP MC and SP1 from discs from manufactuer.

Installed from discs and ran PC-cillin anti-virus, SpySweeper and Zone Alarm Pro firewall. Installed Firefox browser from jump drive.

Updated Vaio and updated Windows until it was satisfied that we could load SP2. SP2 downloads but cancels mid-install with "Access denied" error message. Ran through knowledge base articles and found one on just this error. Did the log and found the key. Went to the key, it doesn't exist. Changed permissions anyway. Tried again, same failure.

I am lost. Any one with an idea?

Yes, I'm very new to this. So, I figure I'm missing something obvious.

Any help. Much appreciated.

Sandy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lewie...

Can you post me the registry key you are missing?

wannabe1

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hello! And yipee!

The first install was from the web and gave HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FEATURECONTROL\Feature_Disable_MK_PROTOCOL. When I went through regedit, the key did not exist. I altered the permisssions at the Software and Microsoft level, but the darned thing still denied access at the same place.

Anyway, I had ordered SP2 on disc when the problems began about 10 days, and a fresh install, ago. I received the disc yesterday. So, I unplugged the modem, turned off ZA firewall, PC-cillin av, and SpySweeper. Then I gave it a shot.

The first install cancelled for "Access Denied." But this time I got a different key when I checked the log and it was a key that did exist on the system.

I edited the permissions and reran the install. Lo and behold, it went through. I am now up and running safely for the first time in two weeks. Thank goodness 'cause I don't think I could have hung in much longer.

You folks have been very helpful, both in this forum tolerating my newbie questions and in the malware forum where this whole saga started. Thanks for being here. I may have to do some reading and shoot for the geek in training thing. I do have an eye for the details.

Again, thanks. You can close this thread.

Triumphantly, Sandy

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Yikes.

Well. Here's what's happening now. IE will open but won't load from my DSL. It just sits there. If I wait a half hour or so, it will load one page.

No such problem w/Firefox.

Ran the "Start Here" program and found nada.

Any suggestions?

Sandy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again, Sandy...

Let's see if repairing IE helps.

Click "Start", then "Search", select "All Files and Folders". Select "More Advanced Options" and place a checkmark beside the "Search Hidden Files and Folders" option. Ensure that "Search System Folders" and "Search Subfolders" are also checked.

In the "All or Part of the File Name" box, type ie.inf and in the "Look In" drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder. Click the Search button.

In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder. Right click the ie.inf file and click "Install" on the context menu. Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Let me know if this helps...

wannabe1

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Well Hello again to you too Wannabe1! And thank you for your help, last time AND now.

Tried to do the fix. Got a message that "Files Needed. The file 'IEXPLORE.EXE' on
Windows XP Professional SP2 CD is needed." It autopopulated the "Copy files from" window with C:\WINDOWS\inf\i386. But when I click "OKAY." It beeps and gives me the impression that's not the correct path.

The other odd thing is that I'm running XP MC SP2. As you may remember, a fairly fresh reinstall about a week ago.

Should the path to copy the file from be something else?

Sandy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well...at least it told us what the problem is...a corrupt exe file... :whistling:

Do another search only this time search the cd for the file IEXPLORE.EXE. When it is found, make note of the path. Then do the repair again and when it askes for the path to the file, use that one.

wannabe1

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Ah. Well, here's the thing. (Yes, after all that went before, I'm fighting down panic.) But, the darned CD won't let me search it. It wants to boot to reinstall, recover applications or nada. The Search function will only search my C drive. It doesn't seem to care if I tell it to search the D drive. It only does the C.

Hmm.

Sandy

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Got it! There are two paths: an INF and a SYSTEM 32. I should use the INF one?

Hmm. This is intriguing stuff.

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...use the one from the Inf folder.

Advertisements

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Okie Dokie. Patience is a virtue. Thank you for yours. And do remember, I am quite new to this.

At any rate, I tried to find IEXPLORE.EXE on the recovery disc. It found it during a search, but would not use it in the "File Needed" window. I then found it on the SP2 disc. The paths are very different:

Name In Folder
MIGWIZ E:\VALUEADD\MSFT\USMT
MIGWIZ E:\VALUEADD\MSFT\USMT\ANSI

So, . . .

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sooo...Let's Cheat!

Download the attached file to your desktop. (Note: this is IE 6.0)

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch, and click "Ok". In the Prefetch folder, click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All"...press the "Delete" key. Close the Prefetch folder.

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and locate IEXPLORE.EXE...right click on it and choose "Send To" and select "My Documents"

Now right click on the downloaded file on the desktop and select "Extract All". Extract this file to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer. Accept any prompt to overwrite or replace the current file.

Reboot (may take a bit longer as the Prefetch folder repopulates) and try Internet Explorer.

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 06 April 2006 - 07:39 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Duplicate Post... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 06 April 2006 - 07:27 PM.

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
All I can say is thank goodness for Firefox!

Everything went as planned. But IE is still hanging there. It gets as far as "Opening page http: etc." and it will eventually load the page. But it is still taking eons to load.

Admittedly, I have the Scotch version of Yahoo DSL at $12.99 per month. But, it's not THAT slow. And Firefox works fine.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try the repair again and see what happens with the new file in place... :whistling:

If you get an error, let me know what is says.