Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HKLM key denys access to install Windows SP2

• Please log in to reply

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
You're having a busy night by the looks of the posts!

Well. I tried it again. No change. IE opens and I get a few green bars in the status bar thing. But it takes 20 minutes to load a page. Dial up is faster! And sadly, no errors generated. It just hangs there, loading, loading, . . . loading.

I'll try hunting it up on the SP2 disc again. I'm likely to toddle off to bed soon and come back to this with fresh eyes tomorrow.

Thank you and I'll do whatever homework you post!

Sandy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

You're having a busy night by the looks of the posts!

Great way to keep the old mind nimble... :whistling:

Let's check all the system files...the way IE integrates into Windows, there could be a bad file just about anywhere causing this.

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Then see if IE is any faster...

wannabe1

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Good Evening!

Well IE is still hanging. The scannow did not take long, perhaps 10 minutes. Remember this install is only a week old and I haven't reloaded data files yet.

The chkdsk took about 45 minutes and said all is well.

Not sure what to try next.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is it possible that something went wrong with the install or the system has already gotten a trojan or rootkit that I haven't caught with my scans?

Hmm.

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sandy...

Ok...it's not files and I don't think it's firewall or AV (they will usually cause a no connect situation). Let's go play in the registry.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok". In the left pane, right click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER and choose "Export". Save a copy of this hive to your desktop.

Now expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Internet Settings

In the right pane, right click in a clear area, point to "New", and select "String Value". Type MaxConnectionsPerServer and click in a clear area to set the name. Double click on the new String, type (Default 2) in the Value Data box, and click "Ok".

Now create another string the same way only name it MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server and give it the value (Default 4)

Close the Registry Editor and reboot. Try IE again...any change?

wannabe1

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thank You!

Okay, now we are getting something, . . .just not the whole page. I'd venture a guess of about a third of a page loaded almost instantly. I'm still writing to you via Firefox though and IE has about half a screen full now.

Definitely better. But not quite there yet.

What next?

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you get the partial page, what happens when you refresh it? Does it load a little more? Also, does the footer load so that you see only the top third of the page and the footer?

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Refreshing it does not get me more of the page. I get about 1/3 of the page fairly quickly. But, it just hangs there. I'm not sure what you mean by the footer of the page. If you mean things like the copy right info, etc., then I'm not getting the footer at all, just the top third of the page.

The bottom of the browser screen shows "Opening page http:etc."

Still no error messages.

Hmm.

Curiously,

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download and install this Microsoft Fix. Reboot and try again.

Does this happen on all web pages or just some?

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Happens on all pages. Some hang longer than others. Right now I'd estimate 'em at 10 minutes to load what should take a few seconds.

I'll do the download, install and reboot now. And talk to you soon. Hopefully via IE.

S.

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Ak. Back to white space in the browser window and the excrutiating "opening".

Hey that file was in Spanish? Hmm.

If I didn't need IE to do certain windows updates and online scans, I'd write Bill Gates a nasty letter.

Another step here perhaps?

S.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Typical Microsoft...the link listed the English version...go figure.

Can you do a system restore to the last restore point? If it is before the registry tweak, I'll cook up a quick reg file to put that back...at least that part worked... :whistling:

There is a Microsoft hotfix I'd like to try after you complete the restore procedure...I'll link you to that once we get the registry tweak back in place. Let me know when you're ready.

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hmm. System restore. Let's see, . . . uh. Okay, okay, don't laugh too hard, but does that mean that at some point I caused a restore point to be set?

And if not (hopefully it does it automatically), then is there a link where I can read up on how to do the system restore? I do remember a computer guy at work telling me a bit about how to do this when all this started three weeks ago. But I think I need a refresher.

Sheepishly

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click System Restore

On the Welcome to System Restore page, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" (it should be selected by default), and then click "Next"

On the Select a Restore Point page, click a bold date on the calendar to the left...go back to a time before the problem began, and then click "Next". A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click "Ok".
On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click "Next". System Restore will restore the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restart the computer.

When the System Restore Restoration Complete page appears...Click "Ok".

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click System Restore

On the Welcome to System Restore page, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" (it should be selected by default), and then click "Next"

On the Select a Restore Point page, click a bold date on the calendar to the left...go back to a time before the problem began, and then click "Next". A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click "Ok".
On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click "Next". System Restore will restore the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restart the computer.

When the System Restore Restoration Complete page appears...Click "Ok".

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Yipe. Don't know how I did that quote thing. Sorry.

Hey, should I shut down ZA before triggering this restore?

S.