Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HKLM key denys access to install Windows SP2

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The actual restore will happen during bootup and before the firewall loads so you should be ok. I would like you to try IE with the ZoneAlarm disabled, though...after the restoral has completed.

Advertisements

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I need that "EASY" button Staples advertises. It was not able to restore to the date I chose. The message was:

Restoration Incomplete
Your computer cannot be restored to Sunday April 2, 2006
Software Distribution Service 2.0

Should I try another date further back in time? Or does this suggest something more ominous?

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Naw...let's go at it a different way. Open Control Panel and double click on Add or Remove Programs. Tick the checkbox at the top to "Show Updates" and then scroll down the list and see if you can find an update or hot fix with the number Q331906. If it's there, remove it. Let me know if you find it there.

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Not there!?!

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok Sandy,

Wellll...we can try another restore point or we can just move ahead and see if this helps first...I vote for the latter.

The registry tweak we did allowed IE to request several objects simultaneously, but download them sequentially without timing out. This would indicate to me that IE is not handleing object requests properly. This Microsoft IE Update is supposed to address that problem without the registry tweak...let's try it first. Download it and install it. Reboot if prompted to do so. Then try IE again.

wannabe1

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
We might be getting somewhere. It won't install. Says I need IE 6.0 SP1. My hung version of IE is as follows:

6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr/050301-1519
Update versions; SP2;

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yea...we might just BE getting somewhere...Try This Download.

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Won't install because it detects a newer version.

I gotta go walk the dogs. And scream.

Let me know what you think.

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think this is being one stubborn problem... :whistling:

Go to System Restore and create a restore point...name it "Before IE7"

Open Registry Editor (regedit), right click on "My Computer" in the left pane (very top), select "Export", and save it to your desktop.

Download and install Internet Explorer 7 Beta.

Use Firefox for your default browser...it's a way better browser anyway. Use the IE for Windows Updates and other sites that require it. How Staff at G2G feels about Firefox.

I have to step out for a bit myself. Been at the machine quite a while this evening...time for a short break. I'll be back a little later though, so let me know how it goes.

Just trying to find out if the new version IE will solve the problem.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 April 2006 - 08:35 AM.

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Alrighty then.

Here's the status:

IE 7 hangs too. . . . . Don't wrinkle your brow just yet. If I shut down ZA and use the Windows firewall, IE loads just fine.

I have no idea what's up w/ZA. When the problem started, I checked IE out in the programs section. It had level 2 clearance and was trusted and allowed to access the internet. It did not have the same status as Firefox with regard to server behavior. BTW, these status things remain a bit beyond my current understanding.

Anyway, just for fun, I just tried changing IE7's access to mirror Firefox's. I then opened IE 7. It hangs. Yeesh.

I do like where we are today better than the last few days. I was thinking, as you said, that if I could get it to work well enough to do the updates and the monthly Kaspersky scan, I'd begin to sleep again at night.

So, . . . I'll check back later to see if you've got additional home work for me.

Thank you so much for hanging in here with me and my evolving understanding and problems.

Sandy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
NOW we're getting somewhere! :whistling:

ZoneAlarm is a bit glitchy sometimes and I've never really been able to put my finger on just why it effects some systems differently than others. This is why I usually don't recommend ZA. It's a good firewall when it works properly, but on some systems it just seems to cause grief...no rhyme or reason to it.

Download the Sygate Firewall and save it to disk. Uninstall the ZoneAlarm firewall and then install the Sygate. You will have to "train" this firewall a bit, but it's a very effective firewall (I use it and have never had a problem).

Try the IE again and see if the issue isn't resolved. I'm only sorry I didn't ask which firewall you were using early on. You can bet I will with the next similar issue... :blink:

wannabe1

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Ah now the fun truly begins. No longer plagued by a serious problem such as being unable to download Windows updates, the onslaught of "technical questions" begins.

Sygate was acquired by Symantec in November 2005. So will I be using a Symantec product or a product that will no longer be evolving?

S.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lewie...

For the moment, it is still being supported. For how long? Who knows...there are an awful lot of folks using this version of the firewall and I really can't see them stopping the updates anytime soon. If they do, however, there are other free firewalls available that are less glitchy than ZA. Kerio for instance.

Meanwhile, we've gotten to the bottom of the problem and I'll be posting this issue involving ZA in the Tech Forum so the rest of our Staff will be aware of yet another glitch in ZoneAlarm firewalls. Let me know what you think of the IE7. I have it on my machine, but haven't used it enough to form an opinion...other than it is still slower than Firefox and seems to have copied a lot of the ideas Firefox has used for ages... :whistling:

As for the onslaught of technical questions...fire away!

wannabe1

lewie

lewie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Good Afternoon Wannabe1!

And thank you again for sticking it out on this glitch. I'm holding on to the link for Sygate to try in the next few weeks. You may remember that up until mid-March, I didn't know much about my computer except how to turn it on. My head is so full (of knowledge base surfing, internet searching, and such) that I don't think I can learn another new thing yet (today anyway). And well, these types of things (computers, technical issues as an RN, and math as a high school student) have always run in the background of my mind. Such that I'll occassionally wake up at four a.m. with the solution. I need a few good night's sleep.

As to technical questions: the primary one involves something I hope I don't have to do again for a long time. When you reinstall windows, and everything else, is there a preferred order of tasks?

I used the followingorder as suggested by a techie friend: windows XP, drivers, internet software, AV+antispyware+ZA, windows critical updates, and then SP2.

But in thinking about it, it seemed that some things could have been in a better logical order. Also, how do you decide which updates are critical or should be installed prior to SP2?

I'm off to walk the dogs. I'll check back later.

Again, thank you so much!

Sandy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy!

When I format and reinstall, I use a slightly different order...
  • Windows XP
  • Service Pack 2
  • Anti Virus, Anti Malware, and Firewall
  • Windows Critical Updates
  • Other Software Updates
If you have to download SP2 everytime you reinstall, you might consider downloading this IT Version of SP2 and burning it to a CD...it will sure save a lot of download time. Another application you might install is Windows Defender...I was a bit skeptical at first (after all, it's from Microsoft), but it seems to be a very effective tool.

Windows critical updates I usually install in whatever order they come from the update site...it seems to work very well and is one less thing to worry about. I then check for any Hardware updates that may be available through Microsoft. I also check the websites for each of my devices (video card, sound card, etc...) to see if there are updated drivers available for them.

You can now delete the reg files we saved to your desktop...you should no longer need them. Then run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools to tidy things up a little...we puttered around quite a bit.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. AND...you are very welcome for the help. Always glad to lend a hand! :whistling:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 April 2006 - 02:46 PM.