All is well and I'll try to limit it to twenty questions. Just kidding. BTW, feel free to refer me to articles, etc. as needed.
1. Does Sygate firewall monitor traffic into and out of my system?
2. Can you recommend a maintenance schedule? I've seen one recommendation: daily - back up data; weekly - extra scan for virus, trojans, spyware and adware, monthly - scan and defrag. And were do updates to windows anti-v, anti-spy, anti-stuff in general fit into such a schedule?
3. Do you have to update IE seperately from Windows?
4. Is it safe to leave the computer on (w/DSL) 24/7? I'm thinking not the best because its like locking your house and leaving. The house is still there sitting on the street for burglers to case the joint. But if I shut down, then the house vanishes off the internet. I think. . .
5. If my Vaio goes into hibernate, the "computer is on" green light on my DSL modem goes out. The modem is powered and the DSL connection is live as indicated by their green lights. Does this mean that my computer does not show up on the internet at that point in time? (The house burgler thing again.)
6. Is there any point in installing/reinstalling windows or SP2 where you've aged your hard drive such that you should be concerned about hard drive failure? In other words, does that make it more likely that the hard drive will fail? I'm wondering because the SP2 install was a toughy. I must have tried downloading and installing 5 or 6 times. And once it fails, the only choice you get is to back it out completely. So, my question really is "Have I aged my hard drive like in dog years (X 7)?"
7. My Vaio is supposed to have a partition from which I can rescue the computer. When I tried that last month, the application could not find the partition. Would my reinstall w/OEM disks automatically have created such a partition or would I have had to do something to create it?
8. Part two of that, is there a way to tell if the partition is there now?
Whew. That's what inquiring minds want to know today. No rush, just following through with some of the issues that have come up over the last month. And, I didn't even get half way to twenty questions!