Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ActiveX problems

• Please log in to reply

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me out.

I just recently got on the internet at home and installed Norton Internet Security 2006.

My daughter wanted to play some yahoo games and we get "Your current settings prohibit running ActiveX conrols on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly." on certain games.

I have looked on different web sites and threads for a solution. As a result I am worse off than when I started. When I open my Norton (which has the green check mark that everything is all good in the world.) I see all sorts of red Xs and I get the same Active X control errors in some of these windows.

I have messed with the custom level Security setting and made all of the activeX controls enabled. I have added under trusted sites; http://www.macromedia.com, http://fpdownload.macromedia.com, and http://sdc.shockwave.com which was Microsoft's recomendation as listed here http://support.micro...kb/816702/en-us.

Also my setting for the secruity level for the internet seems to be unmovable at medium. Well I can make it high but I can not make it any lower than medium. As soon as I click to slide it down Medium-Low or Low I get "The recommended security level for this zone for this 'Medium'. The level you have chosen is lower than this. Please chose a security level of 'medium' or higher."

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I was looking around the posts and everyone one was advising to install SP2. Which I tried to do. The install would not complete. It completes the inspection, completes the backing up of files and completes the backing up of the resgistry. It fails on creating cabinet files. The error is; 1st window: "Failed to install catalog files. Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have been made" (which after hitting ok, does not undo the changes.), second window: "service pack 2 installation did not complete. Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly"

It then fails when I try to remove it under "add and remove programs", as windows suggest I remove it since the load did not complete. The error is; 1st window at restoring catalogs: "The system cannot find the files specified.", 2nd window: "The Service Pack 2 was not uninstallled."

I hae also run Lavasoft's Adaware and quarantined anything it suggested.

I have tried installing an deinstalling with everything that normally runs on my computer running and with all processes I can possibly close closed as well as Norton and some other internet programs deinstalled. I have no clue what to do.

I also can not completely reinstall my NAV again because of the ActiveX errors I get during the install.

Edited by Ladykillur71, 29 March 2006 - 02:02 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I moved the HJT Log to Malware

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=617116

Can you run though this

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did everything you suggested. The only thing I couldn't do in its entirety was this:

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

I do not have an XP CD, I only have the cabs on the computer. The computer was purchased used and didnt come with one. I did run everything in this command but with out the Win XP CD

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

I assume after this you wanted my results posted. It came back with 7 things (8 if my yahoo messenger was running). They are:

Display
1. Lowering color depth can improve computer performance.
2. The display of backround images requires additional resources.
3. The activation of visual styles can have a negative effect on the performace of the system.
System
4. The automatic start up of programs influences the performance of the computer.
5. Too much memory is being allocated to the Internet Explorer cache.
Security
6. Advertising messages can be sent to you through your messenger service.
7. Administrative shares are enabled and present a security risk.

The other one said something about yahoo IM taking up too much memory. Didnt have it open on the last scan.

I tried removing the sp2 as suggested by microsft to no avail. I tried reinstalling it to no avail. I tried reinstalling my NAV to no avail.

I saw alot of things get cleaned from my computer including hundreds of Activex something or the others but as far as my original problem goes, everything is identical. I appreciate any advice in taking the next step.

Thank You.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, network and internet, internet options, click delete files, tick to include offline content, click delete cookies, click to clear history

The Options should be

[attachment=7619:attachment]

[attachment=7620:attachment]

On the security tab, click custom level and check you have this

[attachment=7621:attachment]

[attachment=7622:attachment]

[attachment=7623:attachment]

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I dont have those buttons, I have mine like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can check the ones which are the same, are set the same

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

If you can check the ones which are the same, are set the same

Yes the five bubbles I have do match to yours exactly. They were matched already, I did not need to alter them.

Next?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What is the position with SP2, installing or removing?

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I was looking around the posts and everyone one was advising to install SP2. Which I tried to do. The install would not complete. It completes the inspection, completes the backing up of files and completes the backing up of the resgistry. It fails on creating cabinet files. The error is; 1st window: "Failed to install catalog files. Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have been made" (which after hitting ok, does not undo the changes.), second window: "service pack 2 installation did not complete. Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly"

It then fails when I try to remove it under "add and remove programs", as windows suggest I remove it since the load did not complete. The error is; 1st window at restoring catalogs: "The system cannot find the files specified.", 2nd window: "The Service Pack 2 was not uninstallled."

I want to install it but can do neither.

Edited by Ladykillur71, 30 March 2006 - 09:40 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow an XP Pro SP1 CD

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Can you borrow an XP Pro SP1 CD

I wouldn't know where to get one.

I downloaded and ran Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1. Is that it? SP2 is still lsited under add and remove programs. I haven't tried to do anything with it yet though.

Edited by Ladykillur71, 30 March 2006 - 10:10 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reboot the PC, check if anything has changed

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did. Nothing has changed, I realized after I posted that it was just an IE pack not a Windows pack.

Edited by Ladykillur71, 30 March 2006 - 10:21 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try removing SP2 in add / remove