Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ActiveX problems

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ladykillur71...

Let's try updating some ActiveX and Java objects.

Open "Control Panel" and double-click on the "Internet Options" icon. Under the "General" tab, in the "Delete Files" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the next window, click on the "View Objects" button.

Right-click on each item in the list and select "Update". Note that some of these may not update...I'm most interested in the Java objects and Shockwave object(s).

See if the games will play...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 30 March 2006 - 10:31 PM.

Advertisements

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Can you try removing SP2 in add / remove

It does not uninstall Keith. It fails the uninstall.

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi Ladykillur71...

Let's try updating some ActiveX and Java objects.

Open "Control Panel" and double-click on the "Internet Options" icon. Under the "General" tab, in the "Delete Files" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the next window, click on the "View Objects" button.

Right-click on each item in the list and select "Update". Note that some of these may not update...I'm most interested in the Java objects and Shockwave object(s).

See if the games will play...

wannabe1

There were 3 items there that I clicked update;

MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class
Shokwave Flash Object
WUWebControl Class

I updated all 3.

SP2 still will not install - same errors as before.

Edit: The game still will not play - same error as before. The game is not a high priority anymore. I need a way to load my NAV. The save ActiveX errors occur when I try to reinstall it.

Edited by Ladykillur71, 30 March 2006 - 10:53 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% installed on the machine?

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Do you have Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% installed on the machine?

No I have never heard of either.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try installing it after doing a Clean Boot. Look under the heading "How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP" and do the first 5 steps...then try the install. If no joy, move on to the next step.

Let me know how this goes...this should really start to narrow things down a bit.

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Try installing it after doing a Clean Boot. Look under the heading "How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP" and do the first 5 steps...then try the install. If no joy, move on to the next step.

Let me know how this goes...this should really start to narrow things down a bit.

Install "it" what? SP2?

Edited by Ladykillur71, 30 March 2006 - 11:10 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...SP2...sorry, it's getting late for an old guy like me. :whistling:

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Yes...SP2...sorry, it's getting late for an old guy like me. :whistling:

LOL. Late for me too, I slightly younger older guy. I'll try it tomorrow and post here as well as send you a PM. Thank you for your help.

Edited by Ladykillur71, 30 March 2006 - 11:20 PM.

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I had no luck with this either and have reversed the setting of a clean boot.

When I unchecked everything but the "Load System Services" box and rebooted the install of SP2 failed the same place as before.

When I unchecked the "load System Services" box as well I could not access the internet and could not get MS Updates.

Here is an idea though... SP2 is on my hard drive somewhere. I do not know the file name though, and is it self executing? If I knew the file name could I go through safe mode or some other means and try installing it?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download This Version for IT professionals and save it to your hard drive. Burn it to a cd and hang on to it for future use as your XP installation CD does not contain it.

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok - I am awaiting further instructions.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...I assume you have downloaded the IT version of SP2 and have it saved to the harddrive.

Now, boot into Safe Mode and try to install the downloaded version.

Let me know if it installs...make note of any errors if it doesn't.

wannabe1

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Ok...I assume you have downloaded the IT version of SP2 and have it saved to the harddrive.

Now, boot into Safe Mode and try to install the downloaded version.

Let me know if it installs...make note of any errors if it doesn't.

wannabe1

I should have told you in the last post. I tried that already and received the same error as before.

Ladykillur71

Ladykillur71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok here is my thinking. I no longer care about SP2. I have my machine returned to SP1 by using this MS link.

SP2 is no longer in my add and remove programs and is now gone as far as I can tell. I will just live without it untill I get a different O/S or until SP3 comes out. My problem is still with the ActiveX. I have tried to reinstall my NAV and it still fails because I can not see the pages due to receiving the same ActiveX errors as before. I have everything set up under my custom internet security settings to allow me to view ActiveX pages. Even though this should not effect a CD install as far as I know.

Also under my security settings the security bar, set to medium, still can not be lowered to medlow or low. If I go to custom and lower it through there it appears to take the changes or at least doesn't bark an errors at me. Then when I go back in to it, it is right back to medium.

Therefore my number 1 problem is allowing ActiveX to run and/or lowering the security settings below medium.

Any Ideas?? Anyone?? Bueller?? Bueller??

Edited by Ladykillur71, 01 April 2006 - 02:27 PM.