Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Extending range of a wireless network

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I’d appreciate suggestions on the best way to extend the range of my wireless router (2.4 Ghz, 11b). The network works fine now when my laptop is about 40 feet from the router but fails when the laptop is at 60 feet, where I want to use it.

Both the router and the card in the laptop use the 11b protocol.

I am told that a router with 11g gets greater range. True? – If I upgrade the router to 11g, must I also upgrade the card in the laptop?

Is there an easier way to extend the range?

I am told one can use a “repeater”, a device that sits somewhere between the laptop and the router, to extend the range. Is “repeater” the correct name for that device? Is the link between the repeater and the router <wireless> or must it be hardwired to the router?

Thanks for clarifying options.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi.

Yes, from the top of my head I think a repeater, is infact called a repeater. My dad modified our wireless router with a new aerial, we bought a new aerial, and a little box that the wireless router cord runs to, then from this box, it runs to the aerial, and it gives the aerial I think an extra 1W of power, totaling to more gain. Plus with the larger aerial it is very good, I can go 60m~ and still be connected (fair connection, but still).

I will research where the tools were bought.

Edited by SuperSam, 26 March 2006 - 03:40 PM.