Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I just installed a new ram stick, i have 2 slots, i took out my old ram stick that had 128, put my 256 in that slot, then put my older stick into the second slot. i started up my computer, then i right click my computer shortcut went to properties and it said i only had 240? is my older ram stick not working? i put my old ram stick in the first slot after and my new one in the second then i only got 120? whats wrong????

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
You should have 4 ram slots. Theres actually 2 seperate "channels", so to speak. Slot 1 & 2 is channel 1, and slots 3 & 4 are channel 2. You need to have 1 stick in slot 1 and the other in slot 3. Therefore 1 stick in each channel. That should take care of your problem. Also, keep in mind mixing and matching ram is not very good for the performance of the comp. as the ram might be incompatible with each other. And the ram will always default to the "slowest" ram, as in if the 256 stick is pc3200 and the 128 stick is 2700, both sticks will run at 2700.
-Pete.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
240 seems like a weird number but I know some computers have set levels on how high your RAM can go. In my current computer (a two year old Dell) it can only take 512 MB of RAM, which was handy to know because I almost made it a gig! So check and see if there's a memory limit, and if there is, well, there you go. If there isn't, listen to P.

bongsaber69

bongsaber69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

You should have 4 ram slots. Theres actually 2 seperate "channels", so to speak. Slot 1 & 2 is channel 1, and slots 3 & 4 are channel 2. You need to have 1 stick in slot 1 and the other in slot 3. Therefore 1 stick in each channel. That should take care of your problem. Also, keep in mind mixing and matching ram is not very good for the performance of the comp. as the ram might be incompatible with each other. And the ram will always default to the "slowest" ram, as in if the 256 stick is pc3200 and the 128 stick is 2700, both sticks will run at 2700.
-Pete.

No, i only have two spots to put my ram not four. when i only put my 256 ram stick in i get 112? when i put my 128 i get 120? whats wrong? if both put in i get 240? help!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

I think p-zero was making the assumption that your system supports dual channel memory. Obviously it does not.

Can you tell me what system you have please? i.e if you have a branded PC (such as a Dell or HP for example), then the manufacturer & model number will do. If however you have a custom built or generic PC, then I need the motherboard make/model. This will be printed on the motherboard itself.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yeah some system specs would be nice.
-Pete.