Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to set up DHCP Printer on Home Network

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have a large home network of 3 desktops, 1 laptop. I have two printers that are on the network, a Konica 7155 and a Sharp AR-BC260. I have used a basic linksys hub on my main computer. I have used this quite some time with no problems at all. The setup currently is as follows:
Main Computer
Linksys SD205 Hub-3 Cables going out of that.

1st cable connects to of course the main computer
2nd cable connects to a hub in another part of the house. This hub is another SD205 which connects to two other desktops as well as a Linksys WAP54G which is used for wi-fi for my laptop.
3rd cable connects to another SD205 hub. This hub has two wires going out, one to each of the above mentioned printers.

This set up has worked great for me for the last 1-2 years. The only downside is if I ever expand there are no more empty ports in the main hub and most of all, I am not able to share my internet connection directly. I do have it set up to use internet connection sharing through my main computer but if that goes down all the others lose the internet connection.

Well what I did is I just bought a Linksys BEFSR81 to replace my main hub so that I can have more ports and a shared internet connection. I have hooked it up and I am able to share all files/folders and as well the internet connection but I can't print to either of these printers. Currently I have them set up as two ip address, 192.168.0.20 and 192.168.0.30. I wrote linksys about this problem and their response was I need to put both of the printers as DHCP. Well I have found a way to switch the Sharp over to that but I haven't tried it yet. The main printer we use is the Konica 7155 and I can't find this out, not even in the manual I have and Konica has been of no help.
My question, does anyone know how to enable DHCP on the Konica or is it even possible? Is there maybe a easier way to do this? if there's a way I can share my internet connection without setting them up as DHCP I'd be glad to. I thought about trying to even buy a larger hub like the SD205. Still if I'm right you can't just plug a cable modem straight into a standard hub, it has to be a router.
Well I hope all of this made sense. I have been working hard on this with no solution so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should definitely NOT need to have the printers as DHCP assigned addresses...there's absolutely no difference (on a network) between a static ip and a dhcp assigned ip...as far as the comp is concerned..they're the same thing (because they are...and address is an address...if i hand write the address on an envelope...it get's there the same as if i use a preprinted label).....are the ip's of the printers on the same subnet as your computers?

Mark W

Mark W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Actually I was able to fix my problem last night. I just had to change the ip's from 192.168.0.20 and 192.168.0.30 to 192.168.1.20 and 192.168.1.30. It seems with the router the 3rd digit on my computers had gone from a 0 to a 1 for some reason so I had to change the printers as well.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
figured that was the issue...glad y ou found it!