Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stupid question, sorry forgot count but...

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Cool, I saw that if I type %temp% in the run box I get the temp stuff to delete, %appdata% gets aplication data, etc., etc., so the question is, since I can't google this, does anyone have a list of the %'% commands.

Next question, since I love the run commands box is there an easier way than typing the whole line for opening a folder

The joy is that once one has open the right command then it is so much quicker than mousing over to the short cut, I mean that intails moving the hand to the mouse, the mouse to the shortcut clicking it and then bringing the hand back to the keyboard, see how one suffers then.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Flea, you sound like you would like hot keys.

Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the %% deals are all for system folders.. like %systemroot% and %appdata% ...there are of course a list of these somewhere...but i've got no idea where that list would be...

as far as running EVERYTHING from the run menu..if you know the locations of the stuff you can just start typing said location in run and it kind of...auto completes for you...so you can start in run with c:\ and it will pull up every folder in c:\ in the run drop down...if you want to get to...let's say doc's and settings...you would start with c:\do and document's and settings would show up..down arrow to that then put a \...then you'd have a list of all usernames in doc's and settings...you can pick a user...then a folder...and so on through the same process..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah flea get yourself a keyboard with lots of hotkeys, you can get "hotkey" keyboards now that have only one pupose being hot keys, mostly for gamers but you can use them for anything.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the %% stuff is all linked to the environmental variables...to which you can add ..if you do start > run > cmd > set ...you'll get a list of all current variables...any of those that are listing an actual folder...can be accessed by a %% listing....you can right click on my computer > properties > advanced > environmental variables...then you can add variables there...i've got a folder on my desktop named tools...and i added a variable by the name of %tools% with the value of %userprofile%\desktop\tools now when i type %tools% in run...that folder opens up..

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks for these replied, over the moon, this is exactly what I am looking for, I am trying them out now.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
dsenette has saved me, so I can either create a shortcut from run command by creating a variable or I can type c: working forward, or I can type \filename working backwards, I suppose another way would be to always have the address bar option open and then when one likes something one could just cut\paste it to the run box, anyway it helps me a lot because instead of having hundreds of shortcuts on my desktop I can just press the windows botton with R botton, and then type the first letter or two, bingo, nice tidy desktop and no mouse movements.

btw this is the same reply I have given to my other thread in aplications about this subject since they now seem to have merged.